How far is too far ?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
swpatrkyhunter

RE: How far is too far ?

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 27th, 2009, 4:12 pm

I hunt for the 40 yard shot! Here in Pa you can use a rifle in the fall season.But. I still use my shotgun and work to getting the birds in close just as I do during the Spring. Aside from that. Takeing a shot at a bird thats 70 yards in the woods is an iffy thing to do. Lets say the most of your load ends up in trees and saplings. You may hit the bird but probably won't get a clean kill out of it. If you get a kill! Then all you have done is mamed a bird and educating it for the next guy.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

tinker

Postby tinker » February 27th, 2009, 7:02 pm

This topic is such a mess and it will NEVER come to an end...ever!
I remember when the .30-.378 came out and every one said "what the hell is that for?" The answer is simple; long shots on big game. 500 yards on elk, no problem! Well, people went berzerk! why would you shot at an animal that far?! Well, because you CAN if you and your equipment is up to it.  Then, they started hunting with the .50 BMG. The masses came unhinged!! WHAT?  a 1000 yard killer!! Devils work.  Some guys hunt with .243s. some say its too small. Some hunt with .223. Some say thats a varmint round only.  Some say crossbows are cheating. The list is endless.
 Bottom line we are all HUNTERS! I know guys who hunt pigs with spears. Go nuts! not my bag! If you want to be up close and personal, there are plenty of tools out there to do it cleanly and effectively. If you want to stretch the real estate, go ahead! We have the best technology available today, more so than ever before, to do that. Its a personal choice. As hunters, we should respect each others coices, not berate for it.

Tink

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 27th, 2009, 9:33 pm

ORIGINAL: tinker

This topic is such a mess and it will NEVER come to an end...ever!
I remember when the .30-.378 came out and every one said "what the hell is that for?" The answer is simple; long shots on big game. 500 yards on elk, no problem! Well, people went berzerk! why would you shot at an animal that far?! Well, because you CAN if you and your equipment is up to it.  Then, they started hunting with the .50 BMG. The masses came unhinged!! WHAT?  a 1000 yard killer!! Devils work.  Some guys hunt with .243s. some say its too small. Some hunt with .223. Some say thats a varmint round only.  Some say crossbows are cheating. The list is endless.
Bottom line we are all HUNTERS! I know guys who hunt pigs with spears. Go nuts! not my bag! If you want to be up close and personal, there are plenty of tools out there to do it cleanly and effectively. If you want to stretch the real estate, go ahead! We have the best technology available today, more so than ever before, to do that. Its a personal choice. As hunters, we should respect each others coices, not berate for it.

Tink

Well-said Tink, well-said.

Speaking of a 30-378, I have one of those in 30-378 Improved, Weatherby Mark V Action, Krieger 30" barrel, topped with a Schmidt and Bender 5-25X56 mounted on a custom Near Mfg rail and unitized rings, in a McMillan A-5 stock, Danuser Machine Hydraulic Recoil Reducer and a Vais Brake.

ImageImage

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 28th, 2009, 3:48 am

Magnumdood,

This whole issue boils down to for me, I have seen over the years technology advancements in hunting that to me is taking away the essence of hunting. And for me that is getting up close and personnel with the animal you are hunting. I have no problem with you or anyone using such weapons/loads as what you are saying here. But I believe taking shots at turkeys with a shotgun at 50+ yards or hunting them with a rifle at greater distances you are cheating the animal out of a fair game situation. Is that hunting then or just shooting? At what point does it become one or the other? I know folks who sit on power lines and take 1,000 yard shots at deer. Is that hunting or shooting? My point on these last couple questions is, that is were I hear and see non-hunters and other groups look at HUNTERS, are they hunting or just shooting and killing.

Fairly much what Tinker just said and others before him.

We can argue points with counter points all day long and still walk away with respect for one another and hunting.

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 28th, 2009, 4:53 am

Goddam well-said Tink, well-said.

I don`t think many will argue that this is over the line! Maybe ya ought to edit that mdood. Your opinion is your opinion, but come on, do you really need that vocabulary to try to make a point?
"Old School Elitist"

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 28th, 2009, 7:24 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

Tinker this is not about personal choices...it's about leading people to believe pure horse hockey.

A turkey deserves more repect than someone that calls himself a turkey hunter shooting at them at 70 or 80 yards with a shotgun.

It's unethical to intentionally shoot at a turkey that you 'think or know' is past 40 yards....

Dood I don't think you'll find a real turkey hunter that would disagree with the above statement.

I did alter my post at deja vu's request. 

I picked this post to question because it has the most subjective limits imposed on others.

What am I leading people to believe that is "pure horse hockey?"  Because, I promise you, the statements I've made regarding the performance of my gear or the shot I've used are 100% tested trueTESTED.  I'm loosing track of the number of times you've called me a liar.  There's only so many times a person will sit silent after being called a liar; it's usually NONE.

Explain to me, in OBJECTIVE terms, why 40 yards is the limit for shooting at turkeys.  I really, really want to see you OBJECTIVELY answer that.

After that one, describe a "real turkey hunter" in objective terms.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 28th, 2009, 8:04 am

Shooting a turkey at 50-80 yards is ridiculous, Killing an animal at 1000 yds is pure garbage...You didn't hunt that animal you just killed him at those distances, pure and simple.

Don't kid yourselves into to thinking you did anything that would be called an accomplishment because at those distances my 5yr old could go to ANY state in the country and kill an animal.

So this junk you say "we do it cause we can" is garbage. This is the reason why we have more killers in the woods today than hunters.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 28th, 2009, 8:09 am

& accidents...

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 28th, 2009, 8:20 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

Don't kid yourselves into to thinking you did anything that would be called an accomplishment because at those distances my 5yr old could go to ANY state in the country and kill an animal.

Your 5 year old could go to any state and kill and animal at 1000 yards?  Or a turkey at 80 yards?  I think your emotions have gotten the better of your reason.

I KNOW your 5 year old could do neither.  Now, if you want to argue the relative merits of either regarding your ability to complete the tasks, then, please, continue.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 28th, 2009, 8:30 am

If you use any tool, implement, any clothing manufactured by someone else, then you are buying your turkey and are not a hunter - you're a common killer.

When you truly manufacture at least your own weapons and calls with which to draw a turkey in and kill him then you can call yourself a hunter.

Until then you're a killer.

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting