wats the problem with 3 1/2" shells?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Turkeybuster

RE: wats the problem with 3 1/2" shells?

Postby Turkeybuster » February 24th, 2009, 6:49 am

HEY TINK

Why would anybody want to shoot more than a 2oz.load in a 3.5 shell is beyond me maybe that is why they are getting blown patterns and unmanageable recoil. Also it is faster offering more penetration.
Maybe just not enough of holes in the paper is my guess.

Turkeybuster

tinker

Postby tinker » February 24th, 2009, 7:38 am

I have no idea why you would want more than 2 oz. Thats PLENTY of shot in any of the turkey load flavors. A while back, we did some 3.5 inch, 1 3/4oz loads ( number 6 shot if memory serves correct), stoked to the ludicrous end of hot and got some pretty impressive chrono numbers and pretty good patterns. Again, this was in a loooong barrel with a hand made choke (with doggs), porting, back bore, forcing cone work, the whole nine yards.
 When guys comne to have a gun built, the first thing I ask them is "how much work do YOU want to put into shooting this thing"?  At some point, you start to loose the practical nature of the gun. Box stock guns shoot shelf bought ammo better than most shooters can shoot.
 I like 2 oz loads, for sure as a stand alone go-to load for stock guns. Anything more than that, you are really pushing your luck as far as patterns go due to crowding of the bore, which causes flats on the pellets and as we know, balls fly better than boxcars. You need an over-bored gun and a very long choke to get the most out of the sledgehammer payloads.

Tink

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 24th, 2009, 1:49 pm

Tink
A year ago I bought a BPS warerfowler with a 26" bbl.nib just because it was priced right. It is a 3" and picked up a non ported undertaker choke tube fot it. I shot pattern targets with 5 different brands of factory ammo and they all shot excellent,Winchester high density closed the patterns another 2" but this gun is amazeing. It is so tight that I put adjustable Tru-Glo sights on it,I have never seen anything like this before right out of the box. Everything must just be exactly right on the inside and it will pattern out to 60yds. with the 3.5's. There seems to be no difference in pattern regardless of ammo and all of the loads were under 2oz. The undertaker is .665 must have got lucky!
TB

tinker

Postby tinker » February 24th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Turkeybuster,
 I think the undertaker tubes are the best bang-for-the-buck addition you can do for a gun. They are reasonably priced and I have seen nothing but improvements in every gun I have screwed them into.
 I also love the BPS waterfowler in 26". My buddy bought one and I was rumpling geese last year with it loaded  with some T buck x #2 hand loads and it was a sweetheart to shoot. Shot a few Black Clouds thru it too and was very impressed.

Tink.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 24th, 2009, 3:02 pm

TINK
What choke and constriction did you use with that load I usually shoot straight 2's for geese.
TB

tinker

Postby tinker » February 24th, 2009, 5:30 pm

I was using one of my own chokes, .025 constriction so it would put it somewhere between an imp mod and a full. I only use the "t"s for a little more range on the ones that cup-up a little father out.  They are the first ones loaded and they are less than 1/3 the total load, #2s make up the bulk of the load.

Tink

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 25th, 2009, 3:09 pm

TINK
Looks like we are on the same track since I use full for thr no. 2's.
TB

tinker

Postby tinker » February 25th, 2009, 4:49 pm

TB
 have you tried opening up a little with the choke on the #2's? See how that does with the bigger shot. That slam at the end of the pipe can give you less-than-favorable results with the shorter tubes(if you think 26" is short). The longer "goose" barrels in the 30" range worked great with those loads.  Go a little bigger (if you haven't tried it) and see what it does.  Anything bigger than #4 starts getting inherent crowding problems, even with buffer, when you start to constrict in the .030 and up range. At least that's what I have found.

Tink

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 25th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Thanks TINK you have a point there and I haven't tried opening up maybe a improved modified would do a better job? I will definately try it.
Thanks
TB

tinker

Postby tinker » February 25th, 2009, 6:13 pm

TB..
also, don't rule out a ported tube. The gains of porting go far beyond recoil reduction.

Tink

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting