wats the problem with 3 1/2" shells?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
pabeard buster

wats the problem with 3 1/2" shells?

Postby pabeard buster » February 6th, 2009, 8:27 am

What exactly are the drawbacks with a 3 /12" shell? i have always used 3" through my mossberg 500, but now that i have a semi im considering going with 3 1/2". ive done a little reserch and the only draw back i can find is recoil. i understand not shooting 3 1/2 out of a pump or break barell. 3s are nasty enough. i can only imagin how bad the 3 1/2s are. but out of a semi, the 3 1/2s are much much more barrable. 3 1/2s have more shot(increasing chance of killing) and a higher velocity. these are the same reasons we all switched from 2 3/4s to 3s so many years ago. both 2 3/4s and 3s do the job. but 3s do it better, and lesson the chance of the bird getting away. it seems to me that 3 1/2s are the same way. if there are any other drawbacks to the 3 1/2s please let me know. but in my opinion when u are shooting a semi the 3 1/2" shell offers the best performance.
cluck cluck,
Gobble Gobble Gobble,
BANG!

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: wats the problem with 3 1/2" shells?

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 6th, 2009, 9:36 am

I think recoil is that factor most guys stay with the 3" loads. I am sure Clark or someone else elaborate on all of the pro and cons of 3" vs. 3 1/2" shells. I have heard some guys say that the 3" loads pattern better out of there particular gun. I would suggest getting a box and give them a try and then you be the judge. I don't think when your beading down on a longbeard you would notice the recoil difference anyway. I am not sure the Turkeys know the difference either, but out of my pump gun shooting at paper I sure do. I am staying with the 3" shells.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 6th, 2009, 3:10 pm

HI PABEARD BUSTER

I shoot a 3.5 for turkeys and geese and shoot them out of semi's and also out of a o/u.
I would not shoot them out of a pump as you stated, there is I feel a advantage to them however I like the 2oz. loads only because they are faster and they pattern well for me.
My opinion is you will gain another 10yds. about the same as going from 23/4 to 3" I love them!

TB

howl

Postby howl » February 8th, 2009, 6:21 am

They say the 3" shells usually pattern better regardless of chamber length. That may be true, but the heavier shot loads sure cut the brush better. I think the longer shot string means the twigs are gone by the time the rest of the pellets pass through.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 8th, 2009, 7:37 am

what's the problem ? can't get'em in the gun,,,,2 3/4'' for me.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 8th, 2009, 9:11 am

When Mossberg and Federal got together to produce the first 3.5" chambered 12 gauge shotgun and the shells to fit it, they were trying to help those of us who shot waterfowl, who had been forced to shoot non-toxic shot (steel then) get a killing load. The longer length allowed more of the larger steel shot to go in the shell.

Turkey hunters demanded the 3.5" gun (larger payload) and gunmakers and shotshell makers soon obliged us by trotting out a number of different camo guns and shotshells.

Over the years I've patterned a lot of shotshells and here's what I've found. All things being equal, a 2.75" shell will pattern better than a 3" shell and a 3" shell will pattern better than a 3.5" shell. There are certainly exceptions and I'm sure somenone has a gun that patterns a longer shell better than a shorter one but that's been my experience after firing a few thousand at "big paper". When I say pattern, I also mean consistently, at least 10+ shells, not just 1 particular pattern that comes from a "hot shell".

Shotshell manufacturers and choke makers have learned so much in the last 10 years or so about performance of their products and for the most part, the shells and chokes are so much better, I don't see much if any need for the 3.5" gun today for us as turkey hunters.

In most cases in my experience, compared to the 3.5" shells, the 3" shells pattern better, they cost less and they kick a lot less, I only recommend 3" shells for turkey hunters, even if they have a 3.5" gun.

If however, you are a waterfowl hunter and shoot steel shot, the increased length of the 3.5" shell will allow you to have a larger payload of big shot needed to kill those birds.

Thanks,
Clark

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=208

This brief excerpt may help a bit.
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 8th, 2009, 11:02 am

I understand that you have shot thousands and thousands of rounds, but I totally disagree with the statment that 2 3/4 will outpattern both 3 and 3.5 inch shells. The only way in which this could be possible if you were simply talking percentage of shot in a specific circle, not pellet count.

Are 3.5s needed No, but a 3.5 provides a distinct advantage, more pellets. Its simple reasoning, the more pellets availiable, the better chance of putting more pellets in your favorite sized circle. With this being said it must be shot through a choke tube that is properly matched to the shell. Yes there are 3 inch shells availiable that out shoot there 3.5 inch bretheren, but to imply that this is a rule of thumb is hogwash.

"If however, you are a waterfowl hunter and shoot steel shot, the increased length of the 3.5" shell will allow you to have a larger payload of big shot needed to kill those birds. "

So why not more smaller shot to kill turkeys.

Come on [8|]

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 8th, 2009, 1:27 pm

I went out today and patterned a bit with 3 1/2" in my SBE.  Got some killing patterns, but still not quite what I want.  I am taking some 3" next time to see how they do.  What patterns best is what I will use.  I hope the 3" pattern best; my shoulder really hopes the 3" pattern best.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 8th, 2009, 4:36 pm

[:D]
TB

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 8th, 2009, 11:28 pm

I know.  I took a friend's advice and got a .660 Rhino for my SBE.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Next

Return to Shooting