Winchester® 20ga 3" Lead Ammunition

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
dawei

Winchester® 20ga 3" Lead Ammunition

Postby dawei » March 25th, 2009, 1:57 pm

[color="#0000ff"]I just returned from my daily trek to Cabelas® and Sportsmans Warehouse® looking at all the turkey ammunition currently available locally. I see where the Winchester® Supreme™ 20ga 3" Mag shells are loaded with 1 5/16oz of #4 & 5 shot. Looking at the Winchester® ammunition website I see they don't make this load in #6 shot. Wazzuppppp wid dat?[&:] If they did I bet they would sell a heck of a lot more boxes than they do #4 shot. I really think Winchester is missing the boat reference 20ga & #6 shot. I've never had any luck getting dense patterns w/#4's in a 20ga my self; and, I know of no 20ga turkey hunters using it. What do you guys think?[/color]
David
Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Fan Club

RE: Winchester® 20ga 3" Lead Ammunition

Postby Fan Club » March 25th, 2009, 3:09 pm

I've read several articles on 20 gauge turkey loads lately as my buddy's 11 year old son is going to hunt with one this spring. They all basically said the same thing- in 20 gauge, downrange energy is more important than pattern density to kill turkeys.

That would explain why no # 6 shot option, at least for that manufacturer.  The heavier #4 & #5 pellets simply carry more energy. One article strongly suggested using only heavy shot in a 20 gauge saying that "Modern heavy shot loads have significantly closed the gap between the 20 gauge and the 12 gauge."

I have shot #4's in my 12 gauge for many years for that very reason, even though #5's pattern slightly better. I like to think I was ahead of the heavy shot revolution by doing so.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

ga.tkyhtr20ga

Postby ga.tkyhtr20ga » March 25th, 2009, 3:13 pm

i asked that same questoin on another site i go to. and some one said they may be devloping the load for #6s. my mossie 20 ga 500 shoots  the 5s ok out to 35 but i think they would make a killing on them 6s. the guy said also it has to pass the devolpment stage and then maketing stage to see if it would be a good thing to do. i sure hope they do it.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 25th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Hey David,

I've been talking with both the marketing and engineering folks at Winchester/Olin for the last few years and asking them for a #6 shot load in both lead and Xtended Range Hi-Density shot in 20 gauge. I spent at least 2 hours with those folks at the SHOT Show, media day shoot.

I also like the increased number of "hit"s with the #6 pellets and every choke that I shoot patterns them better than the #5's. I'm sure that I made any progress but I'll keep spreading the word that a number of us would like to see some #6 shot in their shells.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » March 26th, 2009, 8:07 am

Well if anyone can find them, Federals Heavyweight flitecontrol 20 ga load has 1 1/2 oz of tungsten alloy shot.  According to several posts on the 'net' their #7 shot(correct not 7 1/2) has the same downrange energy at 40 yards as #5 lead.  I watched my son take his 1st turkey ever about 12 years ago with a Rem 20ga w/Rem turkey choke with a 3" Winchester XX load of 7 1/2's at 32 honest yards,  I had given him a handfull of #6's but somehow a 7 1/2 got mixed in.  So it is conceivable that a #7 at 15cc/gram could cleanly harvest a turkey at 40 yards.  I would probably only use them in the fall, at least until proven.  If anyone can find this load in #6's please contact me as I spent the last hour and a half trying to locate a box but was unsucessfull.

Charlie Belle

dawei

Postby dawei » March 26th, 2009, 9:21 am

[color="#0000ff"]UPDATE! A guy on another board found these: [/color][color="silver"][color="silver"][color="silver"][color="silver"][color="silver"][color="silver"][color="silver"][color="silver"][color="silver"]http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=777079 [/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]
David
Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Return to Shooting