What load do I use?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
bigjake9

What load do I use?

Postby bigjake9 » March 27th, 2009, 5:49 am

Hi there,
Just bought a Remington 870 Express for turkey hunting and was wondering what load patterns best with this gun. I have it paired with a Truglo Gobble Stopper Extreme. Pretty much a newbie when it comes to shotguns so all this shot size and load stuff is over my head. Could anyone recommend what might work best for me (brand, shot size, etc.). Thanks in advance. Jake

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: What load do I use?

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 27th, 2009, 7:49 am

First off welcome Jake, I would say you just need to buy a few different turkey loads and shoot them and see what kind of pattern you get and what works best in your set up. Clark Bush has years of research to his credit you can check out his web site at http://www.allaboutshooting.com/ and get some really helpful information.  I would say starting out you can pick up some 3" 2 oz # 4, 5 or 6 lead or copper plated lead shot. Its relatively inexpensive  compared to the Heavier than Lead loads out there. I would maybe start with  some of the Winchester loads that you can pick up at Wal-Mart or your local sporting goods store and see what they do and go from there. Let us know how it dose and any more questions you have post them up and well try and help.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

CB on the run

RE: What load do I use?

Postby CB on the run » March 27th, 2009, 8:24 am

I would recommend two things: first put a red dot/scope or rifle sights on your rig as close shots with a bead only can throw a pattern smaller than a cell phone right by a gobblers head, I've been there.  Second: pattern as many different shells as you can.  Each rig is different and what patterns in mine might not be acceptable in yours.  Most 12 ga turkey loads/turkey choke combos will cleanly harvest a bird out to 35 yards but beyond that you really need to know your equipment and many people under-estimate distance.  My 1st turkey gun was a Rem 870 express with a 28" barrel and a X-full flush mount choke that shot Rem duplex 3" 4X6's like a ball fire.  I don't even know if they still make that load.  I shoot a 20ga now by choice as it doesn't give me a migraine like the 12ga.  Call your hunting buddies and see how many different shells you can round up before you spend a lot of money.

Charlie Belle

Return to Shooting