Anyone shooting a 20ga.

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
CB on the run

Anyone shooting a 20ga.

Postby CB on the run » March 21st, 2009, 12:07 pm

I recently went to a Remington 20ga with a rem turkey choke.  I'm shooting Hevi-shot #6's and I'm confident out to 35 yards.  It's a great fall gun also.
My questions are:
  Has anyone tried any other choke tubes especially the Indian Creek brand  and  has anyone tried the new Federal Heavyweight w/flight control wad  and  if so what were the results?
   Thanks,
       charlie Belle

allaboutshooting

RE: Anyone shooting a 20ga.

Postby allaboutshooting » March 21st, 2009, 5:15 pm

Hey Charlie,

Welcome. It's good to see you here. As far as I can tell, I've shot most if not all the commercially available 20 gauge choke tubes. It's been a "project" since about 2000. At that time, there was not much variety in either chokes or shotshells.

When Remington Hevi-Shot came along that really helped to improve the 20's performance. The Rhino was about the best 20 gauge choke tube, in my experience, at that time. We introduced the Swarm 20 gauge turkey choke just as E-M introduced 20 gauge Hevi-13 and were fortunate enough to set a couple of still target shooting world records and win a world championship with that design.

Today, there are other good 20 gauge turkey chokes on the market and a variety of good 20 gauge turkey loads. You may want to read the results of my tests last year of all the 20 gauge loads and chokes at http://www.allaboutshooting.com The article is entitled "20 Gauge Shotshell & Choke Test" .

I have been shooting the new 20 gauge Federal Flitecontrol Wad shells for the last month or so. I started with the #5 lead shot loads and have been very impressed with their performance. I usually find that #6 shot patterns much better than #5 shot, regardless of the gauge but this #5 shot is really patterning much better than the Federal #6 lead shot that I shot last year. The numbers are equal to some of the "hard" shot that you'll see in that article.

Federal has learned a lot about the Flitecontrol Wad in the past 5 years. I've shot hundreds and hundreds of the 12 gauge shells with that wad since late 2004 and it required the correct type of choke to optimize its performance. The 20's shoot well through most chokes, better in some than others but overall do an excellent job.

Hopefully, I'll complete my work with the Heavyweight shells in a bit and be able to publish my completed work on these shells on the site.

The lead shells and the #6 Heavyweight shells have been shipped to distributors and the #7 shotshells should go out in a couple of weeks. You may want to check with your retailers about them now. Some are keeping a list or allowing backorders.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » March 22nd, 2009, 2:48 am

Thank you for the information.  I had already sent you an email after reviewing your site.  Unfortunately it appears that the Tunsten super Shot company may be out of business as they have no inventory and no real updates since a facilities move last May.  I do have a ported barrel which you indicate that the flight control wads disagree with.  Any other ammo/choke suggestions?

Charlie Belle

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 22nd, 2009, 10:11 am

I have shot a 20 guage 870 exclusively for the last two years. I have had great results and have seen equally consistent results with both the 570 Pure Gold and 555 Pure Gold choke tubes. These chokes produce good pellet counts as well as even patterns with all types of heavier than lead ammos including nitro company ammo. Plus they offer a money back guarantee and will swap out the chokes if you are not satisfied.

http://www.gameacc.net

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 22nd, 2009, 1:29 pm

Hey Charlie,

These 20 gauge Flitecontrol Wad shells are a slightly different animal from the 12 gauge models. I don't think your ported barrel would be a problem with them.

TSS is no longer selling loaded shells, only components. They made some great products and I shot both the 12 gauge and 20 gauge with excellent results. It's too bad they're gone.

Hevi-13, Winchester XRHD and Remington WHD are all good 20 gauge loads in the "hard" shot category. All do well in the Swarm and most other chokes.

There's a lot of choice today and most will work, some just better than others.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » March 22nd, 2009, 1:51 pm

We shoot and only use 20 gauges. Turkeys and deer. I use the Ithaca Turkey Storm with no modifications and just recently aquired a new Rem 870 turkey edition for the wife to use.Look out turkeys, she's decided to go out for them this year.
active NWTF member
hardwater/softwater pole holder
horn hunter
NRA member

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 22nd, 2009, 10:34 pm

been shooting a 20 5 years now its a batam weight mossberg 500 it came with a full turkey choke it shot well but a few years ago after lots of exparaments i settle on a mod choke shooting number 6 remington nitro pheasant to be about the best  it shoots well out to 30 yards and gives me a little more open pattern at 15 here where i live season dos'nt open till may 1st and closes the 31st so in a warm year the underbush gets it's leaves you start getting your shots at closer range i like a have in a bigger pattern

reKor11

Postby reKor11 » March 23rd, 2009, 12:40 pm

mossberg 500 20 gauge, swarm turkey choke, hevi-13 3" shells (yellow shells)  killing patterns to 35-40 yards.  Hey clark, you mentioned testing the flight control wad with lead.  Saw them on sale.  What are your thoughts on federal lead loads (5s v. 6's, what shell length?).  I shoot a benelli super nova now with a wrights #2 choke.

dawei

Postby dawei » March 23rd, 2009, 3:34 pm

ORIGINAL: CB on the run

I recently went to a Remington 20ga with a rem turkey choke.  I'm shooting Hevi-shot #6's and I'm confident out to 35 yards.  It's a great fall gun also.
My questions are:
Has anyone tried any other choke tubes especially the Indian Creek brand  and  has anyone tried the new Federal Heavyweight w/flight control wad  and  if so what were the results?
Thanks,
   charlie Belle
[color="#0000ff"]I use a Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga Pump.
• For shooting lead I use the Swarm® choke (.555") & Federal® Mag Shok™ 1 5/16oz #6
• For shooting HTL I use the Hastings® choke (.570") & Hevi13™ 1¼oz #6

As a backup gun I have a Remington® SPR220 (Baikal® IZH43) 20ga SxS.
• [/color][color="#0000ff"] For shooting lead I use the Colonial Arms chokes (.570 & .575"") & Remington® Mag Nitro Turkey™ 1¼oz #5[/color]

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » March 24th, 2009, 5:07 am

Thanks for all the replies and information.  I ordered a Swarm .555 turkey choke yesterday.  I have Hevi-shot #4 & 6's, Winchester's heightweight load(not sure of the name) #4's, and Federal lead #6's pre flight control that I'll be testing.  If I get my hands on any new Federal Heavyweight flight control shells I'll try them also and post which patterns best.

Charlie Belle

Next

Return to Shooting