choke load combos?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Magnumdood

RE: choke load combos?

Postby Magnumdood » March 11th, 2009, 11:13 am

deleted

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 11th, 2009, 11:16 am

Paul,

You might try an "Undertaker" choke.  They're relatively inexpensive compared to most turkey chokes and often really improve the performance.

If you decide to step up and spend a little, try Clark's "Swarm" choke.  I use it on my daugter and wife's 20 gauge turkey guns.  It's amazing how much difference the Swarm choke made in the pattern.

You can pick up a Swarm choke at,http://www.allaboutshooting.com/http://www.allaboutshooting.com/ , Clark's site.  I've shot every brand of ammo I can think of through the Swarm choke and it gives me an evenly-distributed, round pattern at 40 yards regardless of the brand of ammo.  Clark developed the Swarm to shoot Hevi-13 (he'll correct me if I'm wrong).  My daughter and wife use the Hevi-13, #6s, and I swear a fly couldn't make it through that swarm of #6s at 40 yards!  A turkey doesn't stand a chance.

paulie

Postby paulie » March 11th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Thanks Magnumdood, I'll keep that in mind! 

paulie

Postby paulie » April 1st, 2009, 6:27 pm

Well it seems as though I've found a good mix. Picked up a box of Winchester "superX" 3" #5's, my gun seems to like them the best (still using tha Carlsons tube)! I've tried three different Remington loads but, none of them patterned very well. Something else I noticed, when I cleaned my choke tube, there was a good deal of plastic residue in the ports (obviously from the shot cups). Is that normal with a ported tube? Anyway, I got a pretty good patern out to 30yrds, which is about as far as I'm willing to shoot so, I should be good (provided I can get a bird that close)! Thanks to all who gave advice[:)]!!

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 2nd, 2009, 7:04 am

I've shot a ported Tru Glo choke for nearly ten years and have never observed or had to clean plastic out of the ports. The wad always seems to be intact when I find one.

I'm sure Clark can advise you on the ramifications of that.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Previous

Return to Shooting