choke load combos?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
paulie

choke load combos?

Postby paulie » March 9th, 2009, 7:10 am

I'm shooting an 870 with a 26" bbl and a Carlson's ported turkey choke (.665). I tried to pattern it with a Wichester supreme dblX mag turkey load (12ga, 2 3/4, 1 5/8 oz, #4) and, a Remington premier mag turkey load ( 2 3/4, 1 1/2oz, #4). At twenty yrds, the winchester did pretty well (85or90 % of the pellets inside a ten" circle), the Remington, not quite as tight (and kind of "spotty"). At thirty yrds "forget about it" both patterns open right up!! Now, I know, different guns like different choke load combos and, I know the only way to really know what will work "best for my gun" is to try different combos! I was just hoping maybe someone who shoots a similar (or the same) setup as mine, could give me an idea what "might" work better for me! I really dont want to spend a fortune on shells trying to find the right combo! Another ? would be, is a .665 too tight of a choke? Not that I want to buy another choke!!

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: choke load combos?

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 9th, 2009, 7:24 am

You mite try shooting some #5's or some #6's. I have a 870 28" with a Kicks GT .665 It likes the Remington premier magnum 3" 2 oz. # 5's really well. My Mossy 500 with a Kicks GT .665 shoots 5's real well also it really liked the Federal loads until they started using the flightcontrol wad it hated them.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 9th, 2009, 7:36 am

Hey Paul,

I shoot that exact same gun as does my wife. I like the 26" barrel and believe it to be the most versatile length.

I always like to see if there's a way to "fix" the current situation first, without spending money, just a little time. I'd recommend that you "deep clean" your barrel and would recommend the article, "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel"  at http://www.allaboutshooting.com Sometimes, that's all that's necessary to improve patterning.

It has been my experience however, that with the particular shells you're shooting, a turkey choke with with both a longer parallel section and a tighter exit diameter will many times produce better, more dense, patterns. Chokes with e.d.'s of .640 to .650 have worked best for me.

So, my recommendation would be to try really cleaning that barrel (and choke of course) then patterning again. If that improves your patterns enough, you've solved your problem without spending any more money. If not, you may want to explore another turkey choke.

If I can help, please let me know and I'll do all that I can to be of assistance.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. I'd also agree on the advice to try some #6 shot. It seems to flow much better in many guns.
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

paulie

Postby paulie » March 9th, 2009, 11:14 am

Actually, that barrel choke combo are brand new (that is to say, these were the first shells I've put through it). The guns a few years old (bout ten, bought it as a sluggun) but, I just put the barrel into service . Now, with that said, I never did clean that barrel before I shot it (not sure if I should have). I will give the barrel a good cleaning before I shoot again. I was thinking about maybe trying some #5's, I will try to keep ya posted on my progress. Thanks a ton for the advice though, I truely do appreciate it!!!

paulie

Postby paulie » March 10th, 2009, 5:58 pm

Hey Clark, in your article you mentioned using "Gunzilla BC10". I've been using Birchwood Casey's "Gun Scrubber", I assume this would work fine (it seems to do pretty well with my slug barrel).

NAZTY

Postby NAZTY » March 11th, 2009, 7:13 am

I've noticed that sometimes with #4's that a less constricted choke works better. Like with my Benelli, I bought a XXX Full Chomp-n-Choke and was dead set on shooting #4's in it. Like you, I found that the combo wasn't working. Finally a buddy of mine gave me one of his #6 Extended Range Winchester loads to try through it.The % of my pattern in 30'' circle at 40 yards was unbelievable. Absolute Devastation!! Then to rest my assumption I put the X-tra Full Benelli choke in it with the #4's and my shot density was much better than with Comp-N-Choke.

paulie

Postby paulie » March 11th, 2009, 7:28 am

I was talking with a guy at a local sporting goods store (one that actually seems to know what he's talking about), and he suggested I try a smaller shot (5's or 6's). He also said, he's had good luck with Remington's "4x6" (4's and 6's in one load). The only Remington choke I have is a modified (I figure that might be a bit "loose"). So I think I'm gonna try smaller shot first (instead of buying a new choke) and, take it from there. But, thanks for the info, I'll take all the help I can get[:)]!

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 11th, 2009, 8:11 am

Hey Paul,

I like to use Hoppe's #9 or Gunzilla and allow the chemical action of those products to do their work on the "gunk" that may be in the bore and then I follow up with the bronze/brass brush to agitate it and remove it.

I like to use Gun Scrubber in fire control units to blast away grit, etc. and have on occasion shot some down a barrel. It seems a little too volatile to allow me to use it with a brush to scrub out a barrel but it will certainly remove a lot of plastic and powder residue.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 11th, 2009, 8:12 am

Paulie, Get ya a box of Remington Primer Mag Turkey 3" 2oz #6 and give them a try.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

paulie

Postby paulie » March 11th, 2009, 8:30 am

Thanks Clark, I'll try to find some Gunzilla and give it a shot. Ozarks, I was thinking bout pickin up a box of each (5's and 6's), thanks for the input.  Ya know, I came to the boards here hoping to get some good advice and insight and, I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the feedback so far!!  Thanks soo much to all you guys that have offered advice, I really do appreciate it[:)][:)]!!!!!! 

Next

Return to Shooting