remington HD

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
neal

remington HD

Postby neal » April 3rd, 2009, 7:08 pm

Hey Guys

I shoot a Benelli Nova with a Rhrino choke tube I'm currently using the old Remington Hevi shot 3 1/2" 6 shot I was lucky enough to find a couple of boxes the other day but I'm going to have to swicth sooner or later so I was wondering what experience anyone has had with the new HD for whatever reason they don't make the 6 shot in 3 1/2" only 3". Has anyone had much experience with them? Any help would be great!

Good luck this spring!

Neal

turkeylimb

RE: remington HD

Postby turkeylimb » April 4th, 2009, 4:03 am

NEAL WELCOME 

I shoot a benelli nova also and I use a jelly head choke in mine. I use the rem-wingmaster HD 3 inch 6 shot works great in my gun.

allaboutshooting

RE: remington HD

Postby allaboutshooting » April 4th, 2009, 5:36 am

Hey Neal,

It's good to see you here. I started testing Remington Wingmaster HD shells in late 2006 and published a review in March of 2007 at http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=132 You might find that information helpful.

Since that article was published, I've shot a few hundred of those shells through some additional chokes. I've shot it though chokes with exit diameters as tight as .643 and as open as .675 and as I've found with most turkey chokes, the e.d. is only a part of the important geometry of the choke tube.

My initial results with the Hybrid Turkey Choke still stand.  I've also had great results with Benelli barrels with the non-ported Wright's #1 Turkey choke http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=50 That choke has a long parallel section to stabilize the non-buffered shot payload of the RWHD shell.

I've found that this shell is capable of turkey killing patterns at 40+ yards, when properly choked. It utilizes the same wad that Remington uses with its steel waterfowl loads and that does an excellent job of barrel protection.

The bottom line is that if you're looking for a shell that works to kill turkeys, it's a great product. If however you want to see large numbers of holes in small circles on paper (that seems to be a growing group these days) it's not the shell to use.

If you liked RHS you should really like RWHD. I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting