My first Newbie Question

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Demoderby4

My first Newbie Question

Postby Demoderby4 » March 31st, 2009, 1:25 pm

Choke Tubes

I know what they are but what I Don't know is how to properly equip them to my gun. Do I just screw it in? And also, once I use it on my gun will it be ok to take it off and use the gun for for deer season come fall? Like I said I know just about nothing on choke tubes lol! [;)] Just looking for some advice, thanks guys!
Matt Cain

St. Clair County, MI

mark hay

RE: My first Nebie Question

Postby mark hay » March 31st, 2009, 1:50 pm

hey feller ,,,does the gun you are planning to use for turkeys have screw in chokes ? or does it only have a standard slug barrel ?

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » March 31st, 2009, 3:16 pm

I'm pretty sure it has screw in chokes, it's a Remington 870 Express Magnum 20ga. if that helps....

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » March 31st, 2009, 3:43 pm

Look at the barrel, if it has rifled sights on top it's a deer barrel.  If it has a rib running the length with one or two beads it's a bird barrel.  If so it should have come with 3 flush mount choke tubes and a small wrench type tool to loosen and tighten upon removal/installation.  If you plan on turkey hunting with it you'll probably want to buy an extended turkey choke with an inside diameter of somewhere between .555 and . 570 and pattern several brands of 3" #4, 5's or 6's starting at about 20 yards out to 30-35 yards.  Always lube the threads on the choke tubes upon installation and never fire or clean the barrel without a tube in place.  Check them periodically to make sure they didn't loosen after firing the gun.  To remove an existing tube hold gun firmly in place and use the wrench turning counter clockwise.  You'll probably have to hold it between your legs butt down to break the tube free down spinning it out.  If it is a bird barrel and you want to use it for deer season also, only fire slugs through the Imp cylinder choke tube.  They all should be marked or coded.  If you're still unsure after reading this take it to a gunshop for assistance.  They probably won't even charge you.  Good luck.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » March 31st, 2009, 4:37 pm

Ok, it's a bird barrel, i thought it might be, i'll have to ask my dad if he knows where the 3 choke tubes are. I have to take it into a local gunsmith this weekend anyways, so maybe i'll ask them for some help getting set up. Thanks C B that helps a lot!!
Matt Cain

St. Clair County, MI

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 31st, 2009, 5:06 pm

New members helping each other... 'ya gotta love it.  [;)]

T & TH forum rocks!

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

shaman

RE: My first Newbie Question

Postby shaman » April 1st, 2009, 2:27 am

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

Choke Tubes

I know what they are but what I Don't know is how to properly equip them to my gun. Do I just screw it in? And also, once I use it on my gun will it be ok to take it off and use the gun for for deer season come fall? Like I said I know just about nothing on choke tubes lol! [;)] Just looking for some advice, thanks guys!

I'm going to say this, but I don't mean it mean:  "If you gotta ask, it's time to go to the gunsmith."

My point is this:  your question shows you honestly don't know anything about choke tubes, and I'd feel better if you were in the hands of someone who can get with you, in person, and show you what it's all about. Otherwise, the results could costly or dangerous.

1) Always make sure the choke tube is meant for your shotgun
2) Never operate the shotgun without a choke screwed in, and screwed in fully.
3) Always make sure the choke tube and the ammo are compatible. 

It's all fairly simple stuff, but operated improperly it can be a real mess. Part of the reason I have both eyes and all my fingers is that I recognized a few times I was in over my head and sought help with firearms.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » April 1st, 2009, 5:40 am

I plan on going to a gunsmith, as i stated above. I'm stubborn but, I'm not that stubborn, like i said in my original post I know I know NOTHING about them, that's not new to me, therefor no offense was taken. I was just looking for some help before going to a gunsmith this weekend.
Matt Cain

St. Clair County, MI

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 1st, 2009, 6:46 am

Demoderby4

I think a stop at the gunsmith is a good idea also. I would write down any questions you have for him and tell him that your wanting to set your gun up to hunt turkeys and see what advise he has to offer. Before you purchase your choke tube and turkey shells you mite want to stop by Clark Bush's web site at http://www.allaboutshooting.com/ he has years of experience testing different  Gun / choke /shell combinations. He can offer some sound advise and give you a good place to start as far as what choke and shells to try first.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » April 1st, 2009, 9:25 am

With all due respect, what's the deal Matt?  You posted an hour later on Deer and Deer Hunting with the same gun with a totally different problem.  I hope you're asking real questions and not wasting members' time.  I ignored my wifes' call to diner to answer you.

Charlie Belle

Next

Return to Shooting