Took the 835 out again

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Turkeybuster

RE: Took the 835 out again

Postby Turkeybuster » March 6th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Ahmen Brother!
TB

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 6th, 2009, 4:49 pm

I took it out Thursday morning and put the original choke tube in. I used Winchester 3 1/2" 2oz. #5 shot and got my shotgun zeroed in and had good patterns out to 40 yards. I'm satisfied with that. That choke tube I got from Clark didn't work with my gun and i'm not critisizing him for that. For some reason it just didn't work, that's all. 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 6th, 2009, 5:33 pm

clark wouldn't purposely steer anyone in the wrong direction...he is a stand up guy...no doubt

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 6th, 2009, 5:47 pm

Hey Stanley,

I'm glad that you've found a choke that is working with your gun. I'm really puzzled about the SSX tube however. That design has produced some great results with a lot of 835's and 935's but as has been pointed out, each gun has its own "personality" and may pattern better with one combination of shotshell and choke than another. Sometimes even another choke of the same design will produce different results.

Tomorrow, I'll pattern another choke with my gun (24" barrel), with some lead and some tungsten shotshells. I'll "deep clean" that choke after I shoot it and send it to you, along with the patterns I shoot to give you a reference point. Maybe that way we'll be better able to see what's going on.

At least we'll give it our best shot!

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. I really appreciate the kind remarks by all. I always try to do my best in recommendations based upon my actual experience with products.
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 7th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Hey Stanley,

I've e-mailed you with some information and a couple of questions that may allow me to be of more help to you.

I patterned a number of shells this morning. I used the 24" ported barrel  and the least expensive lead shotshells I had for my first tests. All shots were from a rest at 40 yards. Circles are 10" diameter.

I always like to pattern the least expensive shells first and if patterns are acceptable, there's really no need to go futher.  I also picked the 24" ported barrel because it normally does not pattern as well as the longer ones. I shot 3" Federal shells, 2 oz. of #6 lead shot with the Flitecontrol Wad. Those shells are about $10.00 per box here.

There are some POA/POI issues due to 20+ mph wind gusts but patterns are pretty dense. I measured the center mass and do not see how any turkey could escape. I've posted a pretty typical pattern. The central circle shows 112 hits and the intersecting center circle has 114 hits. Left and right intersecting circles have  97 and 101 hits respectively.

That's a lot of center mass hits and would certainly produce a dead turkey with these shells/choke/gun. You can see the effect of the wind gusts on the POI, the 2" orange dot.

I also shot WXRHD, Federal Heavyweight, Hevi-13 and Remington Wingmaster HD all in 3" with #6 shot. I had higher pellet counts but do not feel that the patterns justify the added cost of those shells with this combination, $10.00 per box vs. up to $40.00+ per box. Dead is dead.

When the winds die down here, I'll try some 3.5" shells to see if I get any dramatic improvement in patterns.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER

Postby OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER » March 20th, 2009, 6:58 am

I tried finding a 535 in my area with no luck so I am getting the 835 Tactical Turkey tomorrow.  I have owned both the old 835 and I have since traded my 935 but I kept the XXXfull comp n choke from it.  I am going to throw the comp n choke on the new gun, picitinnay rail and a burska red dot and I should be all set.  I used to shoot winchester supremes 3.5" @ 2 1/4 oz # 5's out of the 935 and it shot awesome at 40yds and devastating under 30yds.  My older brother shoots the 835 with that kicks choke and same loads as me and forget about it!  His 835 is lethal with that kicks choke in it. We both dont take shots over 40 unless misjudged and it hammers them at that distance.  When I get my new 835 tomorrow I am definately going to prep my barrell as clark advised.  
"Many people talk smack about their skills.....I let my beard board and spur necklaces do the talking"

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » March 20th, 2009, 7:09 am

What do you mean by prepping your barrell?
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

Beards n Spurs

Postby Beards n Spurs » April 6th, 2009, 9:11 am

.670 is too tight for an 835, with their back bored barrels they shoot better with the more open chokes .680 is as tight as I would go or even up to .690

Previous

Return to Shooting