Rifle Scopes for Shotguns

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
mark hay

RE: Rifle Scopes for Shotguns

Postby mark hay » March 15th, 2009, 8:38 am

i just skipped through the above posts trying to gather the pros and cons . some very good points made to say the least.
seeing that most turkey hunters are using 3'' or 3.5'' shells ,,,my first thought is recoil .a rifle scope generally has less eye relief than a shotgun / muzldr scope . now considering some of the positions we tree sitters get into when its time to roll the head of tom ,,this might just cause some serious greif. especially if you do not have a sling on your gun and you kill the bird . that means you'll have to carry the bird and gun in the same hand all the way back to the truck . the other hand will be holding that big knot,,,the one that is on your forehead , nose , eye or all.
my second thought is ,,,what if i don't make a killing shot and need a follow up shot? that gobs head ain't very big at all when he is running.
if i were to scope a shotgun for turkey hunting it would be one of the large diameter , long eye relief , red dot type . and it would have one of those little pad/buttons to press at killing time . the intensity of the red dot could be set at the truck , in the dark , and leave the main switch on all morning. but like somone else said already , that just adds more to think about and more things to go wrong with a mornings hunt ,,,and we don't have enough of them now to suit me .

tinker

Postby tinker » March 15th, 2009, 7:26 pm

I subscribe to both schools... I like the simplicity of beads or optic fiber sights or beads, but on tight guns, I like the accuracy of optics. I have a Bushnell Holo-sight on my NEF 10 gauge and have never had a lick of problems with it. Rain, snow, heat, recoil, dropped..no problems.

Find what you shoot best and what you are comfortable with. Yes, the holographic or illuminated sights have the pesky battery issue, scopes have the fogging and condensation issue but with a little preplanning, they all work fantastic. Hell, the military uses them to shoot bad-guys, why cant we shoot birds with them?

Tink

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 17th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Dang Tinker...

I hope you conned someone else into patterning that NEF 10 gauge.  I watched two guys at the range one day get up from the bench, quietly pack their stuff up and leave after only a few rounds.

One guy was shooting an 835 that he had had the barrel cut down to 20".  After four 3.5" rounds he'd had enough.

The other guy was shooting a 10 gauge NEF.  The first round danged near knocked him outa his chair.  On the second round, he closed his eyes, tightened up, and yanked the trigger.  The biggest problem was he pulled his head up when he yanked the trigger.  I think the stock-slap darn near knocked him out.  He staggered up, looking dazed (I think he was about 50% unconcious), gathered his stuff up and left.

Neither fella even went down range to look at their targets to see how the shotguns had patterned.

tinker

Postby tinker » March 17th, 2009, 6:01 pm

You know it dood...
 that gun is an absolute monster to shoot. Its very effective, but very punishing too. I am the second owner of the gun. I sold it to the first owner, off the rack. He fired one round through it and knocked out a tooth. I bought it back with literally one round out the pipe.
That exactly why I put a holo sight on it. no need to creep an optic and smash your brains onto the shooting bench! It has held up to that punishment quite well.  I always said my 835 was just as bad. I wouldn't dare put a scope on either one on the grounds of self mutilation alone!! Just too much with full house loads. 
I equate both of those guns to top-fuel dragsters. Ridiculous amounts of power that you need to know how to harness and use properly.

Tink

gimpee

Postby gimpee » March 21st, 2009, 10:08 am

I have a 1.5-4x scope on my gun, its the same gun I use for deer, I just switch barrels and if I leave it on 1.5x then I don't loose too much field of view and I have the nice crosshairs to aim with.  But you are more limited on the field of view vs open sites or a red dot.

ArkansasDon

Postby ArkansasDon » March 23rd, 2009, 3:58 am

my maxi mag I have a b-square mount w\fixed 2x scope. i like mine very much. nice thing about the b
-square mount, you can still use your front bead if the scope gives you problems
it's what fits the hunter & he likes on his scatter-gun

chester viceroy

Postby chester viceroy » April 8th, 2009, 6:24 am

Been using one on my 835 since 1992, best thing I ever did.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » April 8th, 2009, 8:02 pm

ORIGINAL: ArkansasDon

my maxi mag I have a b-square mount w\fixed 2x scope. i like mine very much. nice thing about the b
-square mount, you can still use your front bead if the scope gives you problems
[color="#cc0000"]it's what fits the hunter & he likes on his scatter-gun[/color]

If only everyone were as tolerant.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

Johntravis

Postby Johntravis » April 9th, 2009, 9:34 pm

I have used rifle scopes on both rifles and shotguns for deer.  Would not be without one.  Now I am thinking of making the move to a scope for turkey hunting.  I have optic fiber sights on my turkey gun, but my older eyes don't focus as well anymore so a scope may be a solution. 
I think a red dot type of scope is what I want.  I am not afraid of learning how to use a technical sight.  I have looked at bushnell holosights, aimpoint, EO Tech, and Burris.
Here are my questions:

It occurs to me that a parallax free scope is of high importance, what do you guys think?

Some are reflex holographic sights some are tube shapes, does one type work better than the other?

Do red dots or green dots show up better?

Your inputs would be appreciated.
I turkey hunt, therefore I am

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 10th, 2009, 2:54 am

I have a bushnell trophy red/green dot multi reticle scope on my 835. The green works well in low light and the red works well in bright light. The multi reticle is neat too but you have to pick one reticle because i read that the point of impact changes as you change the reticle. I use the 3moa dot with a circle around it.  It is a very nice sight. PM me and I can give you info on where I got it, I researched and found the best deal online.

Previous

Return to Shooting