Rifle Scopes for Shotguns

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
trkynut54

RE: Rifle Scopes for Shotguns

Postby trkynut54 » March 13th, 2009, 8:08 am

Any particular reason trkyklr?

The only reason i'm going with a scope is that when i'm turkey hunting I don't wear my glasses. I can see far away but not too good close. The beads blur when I look at them, but do not through a Red Dot Scope or a rifle scope. I guess I could get contacts but they are a pain in the rear too.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 13th, 2009, 8:12 am

Best $29.95 you'll ever spend.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 13th, 2009, 8:15 am

I have those on it, read my post above [:D]
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 13th, 2009, 8:30 am

Trkynut54,

I just read an excellent article about a botched hunt with a Red Dot. First time the guy used it he had the adjustable reticle set too bright, lost his low-light vision and couldn't see the turkey's head. After he adjusted it, it was set too low and he couldn't a see the reticle. All the extra motion required for adjustment spooked the birds and made them nervous. When he finally got it set just right the sun was coming up, caused a glare on the scope right in front of his eye and he lost the dot reticle again. It was now or never so he tried to center the bird's head in the scope the best he could and fired anyway. He missed the turkey completely, cussed the new scope and was quick to point out that he would have killed the tom with his open sights. Then he had to apologize to the guy that called the bird in for him. Ouch.

Like I said, too much technology.... keep it simple.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 13th, 2009, 8:35 am

>The only reason i'm going with a scope is that when i'm turkey hunting I don't wear my glasses. I can see far away but not too good close. The beads blur when I look at them, but do not through a Red Dot Scope or a rifle scope. I guess I could get contacts but they are a pain in the rear too. <

Sorry Nut, we had several posts cross paths while we were both typing. I wear glasses as well, but I do wear contacts while hunting, so there you go. The contacts are only for distance and I can't read with them in, but I haven't had any problems using my Tru-Glo Tru Points. You use whatever works best for you bro, as a semi-blind brother, I understand.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 13th, 2009, 8:44 am

i gotta go with fan club on the fact keep it simple...there is way to much to go wrong allready...adding a scope just magnifies more potential problems....oh yeah..if your shootin slugs,i consider that more of a rifle even though its a shotgun...so with that being said...scopes dont belong on scatter guns...now if its your vision, i guess thats ok, if & when mine is bumed i'll reevaluate my situation...but most just put them on to compensate their lack of.. [:D][:D][:D]...i tried a red dot once & had nothin but problems batteries,eye clearance,finding the dot in the bright sun just to name a few...now this is just my opinion..do what you want 

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 13th, 2009, 11:27 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

Trkynut54,

I just read an excellent article about a botched hunt with a Red Dot. First time the guy used it he had the adjustable reticle set too bright, lost his low-light vision and couldn't see the turkey's head. After he adjusted it, it was set too low and he couldn't a see the reticle. All the extra motion required for adjustment spooked the birds and made them nervous. When he finally got it set just right the sun was coming up, caused a glare on the scope right in front of his eye and he lost the dot reticle again. It was now or never so he tried to center the bird's head in the scope the best he could and fired anyway. He missed the turkey completely, cussed the new scope and was quick to point out that he would have killed the tom with his open sights. Then he had to apologize to the guy that called the bird in for him. Ouch.

Like I said, too much technology.... keep it simple.

Buddy of mine had to pass up a shot on a deer because, while it was shooting time, he couldn't see the reticle of his scope.  He couldn't have seen irons, beads or fiber optics - not enough light.

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 13th, 2009, 11:28 am

FOR ME BEADS ONLY BUT FOR YOU TRY THE SCOPE SEE IF IT WORKS OUT FOR YOU.

shaman

Postby shaman » March 15th, 2009, 6:02 am

The Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X  has held up well on both my Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen and my Mossberg 500 12GA.  I couldn't find a Bushnell the first year I had my turkey gun and settled for a Tasco.  I'd never owned a Tasco scope-- yikes!  Everything I'd heard about them came true.

Within a few years, I threw out the Trashco and found a Bushnell Banner.  However, I was not too happy with the scope for turkey hunting.  I just had a hard time getting the turkey's head lined up right close in.  On deer at 50 yards it's fine, but at turkey at 5 yards it was a bit of a bust.  There was a BSA 1.5-4.5x on sale a while back and for under $40, and I figured it was either going to fall apart or not, it was either going to hold a zero or not-- for $40 I could take the chance.  Also in the back of my mind I knew I was redoing my camo job on my gun, spray painting this time, and I figured I wouldn't mind spraying a $40 scope.  I also had another home for the Bushnell on one of my deer rifles.

The BSA has been exceptionally good on the Mossberg 500.  I like the clarity of the optics, it has superior eye relief to the Banner.

BTW:  I understand how people feel about scopes on turkey guns, but my eyes have just gotten too bad to go with beads or florescent sights anymore.  Middle age sucks.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

deja vu

Postby deja vu » March 15th, 2009, 6:46 am

I prefer to go the simple route when possible... but sometimes situations won`t allow it.
I had an old 870 that the point of impact was way off on with the tighter turkey choke. I tried the truglo adjustable sight but it was hard for me to use in low light... the fiber optic was too bright to try and find the turkeys head and have the sights lined up, that head just got hard to see over the sights. I put a leupold 1 1/5 x 5 that I had on a deer gun on the 870 and it worked fine for me in all light conditions.
"Old School Elitist"

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting