Need ammo help!!!

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
IN/Strutter

Need ammo help!!!

Postby IN/Strutter » April 2nd, 2009, 10:56 pm

Does anybody know if shooting the Federal Flight-Control Mag Shok Heavyweight out of a fixed full choke gun will hurt the barrel.  I've gotten mixed reports on this and was hoping that someone could help me out.

shaman

RE: Need ammo help!!!

Postby shaman » April 3rd, 2009, 2:06 am

As far as I know,  it's perfectly safe.  I'm shooting the lead version.  I'd wait and see if someone has any other ideas on this, but I haven't heard of problems.

Where you get into trouble normally is shooting a lot of steel loads through an old fixed choke.  Eventually it causes an unsightly bulge  in the barrel at the choke.  It's still safe, but it looks ugly.  On the other hand, that's shooting a lot of that sort of thing through a too-tight choke.  Occasional use, like for turkey season, would never cause this. 

If you have a particular concern like this, your best bet is to contact Federal directly.

http://www.federalpremium.com
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

IN/Strutter

Postby IN/Strutter » April 3rd, 2009, 3:55 am

Thanks shaman!  I also shoot the lead version, but Federal sent me a free box of the heavy weight to try out.  I'd really like to give these a try if they are safe.  Like you said, I would probably only shoot 5 or so shots to pattern and then hopefully only 1 shot to fill my tag this year.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » April 3rd, 2009, 6:38 am

If it's a very old gun you may want to consult a gunsmith or pass as  heavyweight shot is harder than lead but less than steel.

Charlie Belle

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 3rd, 2009, 8:30 am

As far as I know it's safe with limited shooting. My father still hunts turkeys with a 1953 Winchester Model 12 with factory full choke barrel. Of course he had to jump on the hevi shot bandwagon when that stuff came out, anything for an edge you know. It doesn't seem to have had any ill effects on his gun.

BTW- that gun is an absolute shooting machine! He has taken over 100 gobblers and won a slew of turkey shoots with it, probably owing to the 30-inch ribbed barrel. I've carried it for him a few times, it's like having a 4 foot long, 10 lb rod of iron slung across your back.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 3rd, 2009, 1:49 pm

hello INSTRUTTER,,,i too shoot a fixed choke gun ,,,,a double . i fired over a half box of the flite control loads with disgusting results . i don't mean to come across negatively , but that is the facts. i read a lot on the new wad design by several sources and was convinced they would be great coming out of either of my barrels . i was sorely dissappointed to say the least.
 honestly ,,i hope that they serve you well and perform as they were intended .
 by the way , my double is 2 3/4 inch chambered . i don't know if the 3 inch or even the 3 1/2 inch would actually make a difference in other guns .
 wish the best for you ,,,and ,,,WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

''old school turkey tactics''

IN/Strutter

Postby IN/Strutter » April 3rd, 2009, 2:19 pm

I shoot the H&R Pardner Turkey Gun.  It's chambered in 3 1/2 but I only shoot 3" since the gun is so light.[:D]  It's a new gun, so I don't think age will be an issue.

Mark, I shot the copper plated Flight Controls last year with great results.  I seriously was putting the wad through the card board box I was using as a target at 25 yards.  My gun loved them.  I just thought since Federal sent me a free box that I would give them a try.  Thanks for all your guys help thus far.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 3rd, 2009, 2:43 pm

yes sir ,,,all that i fired were at the same distance and the wad punched holes as well.
also the ones i fired were #4's ,,,,25 yards was too far for that size /number of pellets FROM MY GUN .
glad they work for you . sounds like you are ready to fill a tag.
 good huntin'

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » April 3rd, 2009, 2:50 pm

HEY FAN CLUB
Is your dads gun a 3" or 23/4" and is he shooting winchester supreme elites? I have both guns in a model 12 and was afraid to shoot the heavy stuff,winchester says it will conform to a regular choke but won't commit to say it won't hurt the gun. I would love to try it.

Turkeybuster

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 3rd, 2009, 3:34 pm

TB-

I'm pretty sure he shoots 3" shells, but not 100% sure. He's out in Phoenix right now but will be home early next week. I'll find out exactly what he shoots and get back to you.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Next

Return to Shooting