Federal 20ga Heavyweight Flitecontrol shells

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
CB on the run

Federal 20ga Heavyweight Flitecontrol shells

Postby CB on the run » April 11th, 2009, 3:58 am

Does anyone know of a source for the new Federal Heavyweight Flitecontrol shells in 20ga?  Midway lists them but has no stock and changed their expected delivery date from early April to ?.  I have spent hours trying to locate a box.  Any help would be very appreciated.

Charlie Belle

allaboutshooting

RE: Federal 20ga Heavyweight Flitecontrol shells

Postby allaboutshooting » April 11th, 2009, 5:39 am

I sent you a PM. Please let me know if that help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

pudge

Postby pudge » April 16th, 2009, 9:54 am

Was also looking for federal mag shok 7's to try in the wifes 20. Had been shooting Remington Premier Hevi Shot 7.5's but looks like they don't make them anymore and we're out of them. Shot a whole bunch of others and can't find one that her gun likes. Any help would be great!

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 16th, 2009, 10:46 am

Hey Andy,

First of all, welcome to the T&TH site. We look forward to hearing from you.

Federal has shipped lots of the new 20 gauge Heavyweight product in the last few weeks. The #6 shot went first and then the #7 shot. If your local dealer does not yet have it in stock, you may want to check the "Dealer Locator" at http://www.federalpremium.com/default.aspx
That should tell you who sells their shells in your area.

They've been rather hard to find but should be more available now.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. In the event that you can't find the "hard" shot, you may want to try some of their #6 lead. It's the best that I've found. You can see some results of my tests at http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=281

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » April 16th, 2009, 10:56 am

How did those 7.5's work out on birds, especially spring birds?  I've been conversing with Clark and my gunsmith on this subject and my smiths' opinion is that the 7's won't displace enough energy into the bird due to the decreased surface area.  He actually shoots #4's out of his 20ga much preferring  a couple large pellets then numerous small pellets.  My son killed his 1st ever turkey(fall bird) with a 3" 7.5 lead Winchester double X at 32 paces but the shell was accidently mixed in with a hand full of 6's that I gave him.  He graduated to a 12ga shortly thereafter so the one harvest is all I have to go by.  Any info would be appreciated.

Charlie Belle

pudge

Postby pudge » April 16th, 2009, 1:17 pm

The Hevi shot 7.5's that we have been using have killed seven Turkeys. One bird the wife misjudged at 47 paces stone dead. She is shooting an older Ithaca with a Carlson Turkey choke (.575). It puts 116 pellets on a 8.5" x11" piece of paper in a uniform pattern at 40 yards. But can't get the Remingtons anymore. Thats why I would like to try that Federal 7's. Thanks for the info.
                              Andy

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 16th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Hey Andy,

Have you tried any of the Remington Hevi-Shot loads with 1.25 oz. of #6 shot. They're not made anymore but are still available in some places. That shell used the same wad, powder and primer and since your gun shot those 7.5's  so well, it might just "like" the #6 shot too.

Thanks,
Clark

pudge

Postby pudge » April 17th, 2009, 7:02 am

All I can find in the Remington Hevi are 4's.Tryed regular Hevi 6's and 5's but no good. Thanks for all the info.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » April 17th, 2009, 8:38 am

I received an email from a Federal ATK rep this morning.  I called the number he provided and spoke with him directly.  He referred me to a distributor about 90 miles away who is shipping me 5 boxes of the #6 shot.  They do not have the #7 shot yet in 20ga, only 12ga.  Federal obviously cares about their consumers and I, for one, am impressed.
Thank you Clark.

Charlie Belle

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 18th, 2009, 5:41 am

That's great news. It's always good to see a company follow-up on inquiries. I look forward to hearing about your results with those shells.

Thanks,
Clark

Next

Return to Shooting