Dazzle me with brilliance or baffle me with [bleep]

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Magnumdood

RE: Dazzle me with brilliance or baffle me with [bleep]

Postby Magnumdood » April 19th, 2009, 11:45 am

I purposefully excluded the issue of our obligation to the game animal, to take it cleanly and humanely.  The reason I left it out is people who haven't shot TSS simply cannot, and, in fact, refuse to believe its performance.

With regard to your blanket statement that between two shots, the longer will always be more dangerous (such as in public areas); I don't think that deserves a blanket pronouncement.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 19th, 2009, 2:32 pm

> With regard to your blanket statement that between two shots, the longer will always be more dangerous (such as in public areas); I don't think that deserves a blanket pronouncement. <

You've shown a remarkable ability to take things out of context and twist words around as usual.

I did not make a blanket statement "that between two shots, the longer will always be more dangerous". In fact I went out of my way to explain that is not always the case and it is all relative to to where this situation occurs.

I did say in a public area,... not "such as". A longer shot, requiring a higher angle will always travel a farther distance. Fact. Taking this shot in a public area, where there is a difinitively greater chance of humans being downrange is always going to be "more dangerous" (your words), than taking a much shorter shot on private ground. Fact.

This topic is only remotely connected to the sensible turkey hunter.  It's all conjecture and the onus for proving an 80 yard shot is "dangerous" should not be on those who don't take them. If anybody needs proof (I don't, the percentages are enough for me), the burden of proving it's safe should fall on those willing to take such a shot.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » April 19th, 2009, 3:49 pm

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

This is closely related to the 70 yards? 80 yards? thread in a lot of ways. I don't see as much of a saftey issue with such shots as I do a responsibilty to the game we hunt.

Here is a quote from Gobblerman from that thread which I agree with-

> the chances of an animal being wounded and then escaping, without a doubt, increase as the distance between the hunter and the animal increases.  This holds true pretty much regardless of the type of game being hunted. <

As for the shot itself, "more dangerous" must be first intepreted that it applies to humans instead of game. A shooter is responsible for positively identifying his target and being sure of his backdrop at any range, be it 40 yards or 80 yards, so there is nothing to argue there.

Where the argument usually does insue, is that this is all relative to where you hunt or take such a shot. In an area where you are reasonably sure you are the only one there, or the only one that should be there, an 80 yard shot is not inherantly more dangerous to humans. I say "the only one" because this applies to all humans, not just hunters... mushroom seekers, hikers and bird watchers can all be part of the equation. [color="#990000"]In a public area with much greater opportunity for human contact of all sorts, a longer shot is always going to be "more dangerous," it's more difficult to be sure of your backdrop and the shot angle is going to be higher[/color].

To recap this messay (mini-essay), there is too much relativity involved to provide a definite conclusion. "More dangerous" is a relative generalization, and it is directly relative and subjective to the area or region where the principle is being applied.

I'm not sure why any of this would be baffling to anyone, it's all physics...but as with anything else, logic must be employed during the application.

Show me how I twisted your words or took your statement out of context.  I acknowledged you prefaced the tenets of your blanket statement, and it is a blanket statement, didn't hold true unless other people were in the area or in a public place.

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

> With regard to your blanket statement that between two shots, the longer will always be more dangerous (such as in public areas); I don't think that deserves a blanket pronouncement. <

You've shown a remarkable ability to take things out of context and twist words around as usual.

I did not make a blanket statement "that between two shots, the longer will always be more dangerous". In fact I went out of my way to explain that is not always the case and it is all relative to to where this situation occurs.

I did say in a public area,... not "such as". A longer shot, requiring a higher angle will always travel a farther distance. Fact. [color="#990000"]Taking this shot in a public area, where there is a difinitively greater chance of humans being downrange is always going to be "more dangerous" (your words), than taking a much shorter shot on private ground. Fact.[/color]

This topic is only remotely connected to the sensible turkey hunter.  It's all conjecture and the onus for proving an 80 yard shot is "dangerous" should not be on those who don't take them. If anybody needs proof (I don't, the percentages are enough for me), the burden of proving it's safe should fall on those willing to take such a shot.

Re-read what I wrote.  That is not what I said.  I said even in public areas the longer shot is not ALWAYS the more dangerous shot.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 19th, 2009, 10:43 pm

dood you are right it is no more dangerous to shoot at 70 yards then it is at 40 the shot that does not hit anything will travel the same distence there i agreed with you . my qestion is why do you feel the need to make these long shots i know we all missjudge distence form time to time and it's nice to have the guns and ammo to reach out there when we do . i know i'm an old time turkey hunter but if you read my other posts i say live and let live so i'm not attacking the why you hunt. just wanted to know if you shoot at long distence on purpose just to prove a point

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » April 20th, 2009, 8:48 am

Grizzly,

I'm going to blow my whole image outa' the water - but I try not to shoot beyond 40 yards.  The thing is this; when I was intoduced to this site and another site, I was immediately hammered for shooting too far at turkeys...yada yada yada blah blah blah blah.  Why?  I don't remember if I mentioned it, or if I posted a pic of my SP-10 with the scope on it.  The bottom line is I was ripped for not called a turkey into my lap and strangling it with my bare hands.  Shooting beyond 40 yards was not hunting, it was shooting - turkeycide.  This went on and on and on.

I like to have the ability to recover if I muff the distance on my set up.  Am I going to blast away at a turkey that is 80 yards, even 70 yards from me?  No, not unless the bird is wounded and I'm helping somebody try to recover it.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » April 20th, 2009, 9:25 am

http://forum.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=9016

dood..i know your old,but i dont think your memory is that bad..i'm sure i can find a few more places where you've talked about your ethics in shooting... if you'd like[8|]

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » April 20th, 2009, 9:56 am

Not too old to make you remember it if we got crossways.

I carefully considered what I wrote, and I can go back and find several places where I directly state I try to get my gobbler set up between 25 and 40 yards.

Surely, you're not too old to remember that, are you?  Or, does that not suit your purpose? [sm=rolleyes.gif]
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » April 20th, 2009, 10:30 am

as i've told you in the past..dood,your threats don't scare me...heres some more talk on your turkey hunting ethics:

Magnumdood

titleAndStar(208,0,false,false,"","")

[align=center] 

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: StevePA

Whats your thoughts on shooting long distances?...Is it necessary?
[/blockquote]

I'm going to kill one at 70 yards this year just for you.

anytime dood...just give me a call  Image

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 20th, 2009, 10:41 am

hey guys i'm not looking for a fight with any one here . dood i was'nt judgeing your ethics if you're hunting leglely i have no beef i was just asking a qestion if you say you do'nt shoot them at long range that's good enough for me i'm not a my way or the highway type of guy i'm here to share what i know and learn what i can

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » April 20th, 2009, 11:08 am

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

as i've told you in the past..dood,your threats don't scare me...heres some more talk on your turkey hunting ethics:

Magnumdood

titleAndStar(208,0,false,false,"","")

[align=center] 

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: StevePA

Whats your thoughts on shooting long distances?...Is it necessary?
[/blockquote]

I'm going to kill one at 70 yards this year just for you.

anytime dood...just give me a call  Image

I never threatened you in the past trky.  I'm not threatening you now.  I'm not as old as you seem to think I am either.

You know as well as I do what wrote to Steve was a response to a jab.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting