What turkey-specific features do you have on your turkey shotgun?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
benhanson

RE: What turkey-specific features do you have on your turkey shotgun?

Postby benhanson » February 26th, 2009, 3:27 pm

they all increase your chance of getting a turkey but really you don't need them indians killed turkeys 100s of years ago and they didn't have 3 1/2 in. 12 ga. with camo dip and a scope they had a long bow the made themselves

tinker

Postby tinker » February 26th, 2009, 3:52 pm

benhanson, you are right. They also had no immunity to smallpox and had squaws chew rawhide for their shoes. That's the beauty of progress. Having the availability to pick and choose what method or "bling" you want on your killing machine.
 and whats not "earned" about a 60 yard shot? Maybe I am taking liberty here in saying that anyone would take a 20 yarder over 60, but if hes 50 yards out in the milo and starting to head or'yonder, he is getting a dirt sangwich and a ride in the pick up.
Tink

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 26th, 2009, 5:27 pm

[align=center][size="6"]They can gobble and run, but they'll only die tired.

ImageImage
[/size]

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 26th, 2009, 5:35 pm

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

N.E Firearm 20 gauge, invisible choke, 20-15 scope, with pure steel bead , polished with a little Cacky spit, 4 finger sling, Shootin #5 Waltons fireballs

This is my sons desciption of his gun

After Lazer surgery I have 20-10 vision, and I still use a scope.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 26th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Magd,

I will say your set up is nice looking. Not like some wild radical ones you see today.

What will that thing do to a turkey at 10 or 15 yards? I noticed it looks like your scope goes down to 0 mag. is that so? For even 1.5 would make it a little difficult to pick up a turkey at 10 yards. Or are most of your set ups so that the bird will not be closer then say 35 yards?

"If I can place a killing pattern, consistently, on a turkey target at 60
yards"

The only problem I have is the consistency of shooting a target at 60 yards and an animal at 60 yards in the woods, or even open field.

I know a couple of folks at Quantico that have those 60 yard guns and are great on the practice range with targets, but it seems every year they say they missed a bird or 2 at 50+ yards. Now given their talents of shooting I would have to say they did not mis per say. Not that I have not missed or anyone for that matter even at 30 yards. But I have noticed a trend over the years that long range guns and ammo folks are talking more at taking shots at turkeys at 50+ yards and not getting the bird more so then folks not getting the bird at 20 to 40 yards. 

Do you hunt or ever hunted Quantico?

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 26th, 2009, 8:08 pm

ORIGINAL: greyghost

Magd,

I will say your set up is nice looking. Not like some wild radical ones you see today.
Thank you.

What will that thing do to a turkey at 10 or 15 yards?
Decapitate it.

I noticed it looks like your scope goes down to 0 mag. is that so? For even 1.5 would make it a little difficult to pick up a turkey at 10 yards. Or are most of your set ups so that the bird will not be closer then say 35 yards?
The scope goes down to 1.5X.  As tight as any shotgun with an XXX turkey choke shoots at that range means any mis-alignment of beads insures a miss.  I can, and do, shoot with both eyes open, so I have no trouble picking a turkey up at 10 yards.  I set up with the ideal situation of being able to take a shot between 25 an 40 yards.  Any closer and the pellets are essentially still bunched up in a very tight shot column.  Further away, well, I don't worry as much when ranges get past 40 yards.

"If I can place a killing pattern, consistently, on a turkey target at 60
yards"

The only problem I have is the consistency of shooting a target at 60 yards and an animal at 60 yards in the woods, or even open field.

I know a couple of folks at Quantico that have those 60 yard guns and are great on the practice range with targets, but it seems every year they say they missed a bird or 2 at 50+ yards. Now given their talents of shooting I would have to say they did not mis per say. Not that I have not missed or anyone for that matter even at 30 yards. But I have noticed a trend over the years that long range guns and ammo folks are talking more at taking shots at turkeys at 50+ yards and not getting the bird more so then folks not getting the bird at 20 to 40 yards. 

Do you hunt or ever hunted Quantico?
I never hunted Quantico.  With my shotgun I can consistently place the center of the pattern on the part of target my reticle subtends - from 5 yards to 60 yards.  I do have to compensate at closer ranges as the shot column hasn't crossed the line of sight yet; especially at distances like 10 yards or even 15.

I have not missed yet with this set up, close or far.  My closest shot was about 8 yards.  The head was blown off and obliterated.  My longest shot was 66 yards - I placed 8 pellets in the neck/spinal column and 2 pellets in the brain pan.  The bird flopped some, but not much and he didn't move 2 feet from where I hit him.

I'm certain I'll miss; I just hope it's a clean miss and I don't wound the bird.

[/quote]

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 20th, 2009, 8:55 am

Let's see some more turkey-specific shotguns!

JPH

Postby JPH » March 20th, 2009, 9:36 am

Here is a pic of my little bundle of joy, He's a NEF 12ga. Pardner model, with a 24" barel, open rifle sight, and factory-full choke. I shoot 3" Federal Mag Shock #5's with Flite Control wad.

ArkansasDon

Postby ArkansasDon » March 21st, 2009, 8:52 am

nice scatterguns, y'all. I have a Charles Daly Maxi Mag 12 ga. , 2x scope, B-Square Mount, Hastings 665 Choke, Winchester Xtended SE #6's 3 1\2", polished barrel, cone work, camo up in True Timber Green
Remington\Spartan SPR310 O\U 12 ga. Cone work on both barrels, polished, Tru Glo Gobble Dot Extreme Bead, Hevi Shot 13 #6's 3", 2 Ballistic Specialites 660 choke tubes, camo up in Jim Crumley's Outfitters Tuff
Mossberg model 88, 28" back bored 741 barrel, Indian Creek 670 (turkey) Indian Creek 720 (ducks), Hevi Shot 13 3" #6's, cone work, trigger work, Hi Vis Bead, camo up in Mothwing Marsh Mimicry
" Wild Turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." Colonel Tom Kelly

Moonshine Gobbler

Postby Moonshine Gobbler » April 19th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Here's mine. 870 Super Mag special purpose turkey edition, forcing cones lengthen,and polished, drilled and tapped for TruGlo scope, Simms recoil pad, and possible trigger job coming up. Shoots Fed HW 3 1/2 #6's  out of a truglo or Madmax choke.

R

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting