The old, solid standby....lead

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
reKor11

The old, solid standby....lead

Postby reKor11 » April 24th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Being a young guy (21), I have been stricken by the need to have all the new gagdets and toys to help me shoot more turkeys, deer, ducks, geese you name it.  A few buddies and I went down to the range to do some patterning today before the season opens (monday).  I showed up with three different boxes of remington HD in different sizes and a choke tube geared toward these loads.  I also brought six shells of Federal Struk Shok 3.5 inch #6s (circa 2005), just to get my red dot on the paper.  Well I'll be damned if those four year old lead shells didn't outshoot the wingmaster for one reason or another.  I know there is alot more than just the shell going on here (shotgun, choke, etc), but it just goes to show ya that you don't need to spend 4 dollars a shell to get turkey killing patterns (159 pellets in 10" circle at 30 yards). 

trkynut54

RE: The old, solid standby....lead

Postby trkynut54 » April 25th, 2009, 10:04 am

That ought to kill one, good luck
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 26th, 2009, 3:06 am

Those 3" Strut Shok #6 do pretty well in my SBE too. They are listed at 1&7/8 oz. of shot traveling at 1210 fps in front of 4 drams of powder. I didn't do a pellet count in a 10" circle, but let's just say that any gobbler that gets close is coming home with me. At 30 yards though even field load 1&1/4 oz. of #6s ought to do the job though.

People hunted turkeys (& other game) without fancy shot for a long long time. While plated & buffered shot does out perform Lead, it does a fine job.

Good luck when you get the chance to use them on something besides paper.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

dawei

Postby dawei » May 1st, 2009, 4:00 am

[color="#0000ff"]This is a pattern of UNPLATED LEAD from my itty, bitty 20 gauges:

[/color]
[color="#000000"][/color]Image

David
Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Return to Shooting