835 problem

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
singleshot

835 problem

Postby singleshot » April 26th, 2009, 6:44 pm

my 835 has finaly gaveup after 15 yrs of faithful service. even with a differnt choketube still throws bad patterns. does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it ? any help would be nice. thanks.[&o]
John 1:1 John 1:14 KJV.

trkynut54

RE: 835 problem

Postby trkynut54 » April 26th, 2009, 11:35 pm

Do you deep clean the barrel, maybe get another barrel? gunbroker.com has barrels, that's where I got my extra one
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

singleshot

Postby singleshot » April 28th, 2009, 11:25 am

thanks for the help trkynut54. clean or fouled diffrent chokes still shoots cruddy. geuss i need new barrel. i used to kill crows at 60 to 65 yards with her. she's been through a lot with me. time to give the upgrade's needed.[:o]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 28th, 2009, 11:44 am

did you remove the barrel ? clean her well while apart ? make double sure the barrel is seated COMPLETELY into the receiver and the magazine cap good and tight ?
 remove screw in choke and clean the threads on choke and inside the barrel ? fouling can leave deposits in the threads if the choke tube had ever worked loose . it may feel tight , but in reality it is not into the barrel as far as needed .

just a few thoughts i wanted to throw at ya ,,,,,,might save you the price of a new barrel .
by the way ,,,a friend of mine has a mossberg slug gun . it started shooting erratic . installed a new barrel and it still doesn't shoot like it did when the gun was new .
 hard kicking , higher pressure loads cause a hammering effect where the barrel and receiver are joined . my point is , even if you spend the money on a new barrel , it may or may not solve the problem .

hope it works out ,,,,good hunting

singleshot

Postby singleshot » April 28th, 2009, 7:09 pm

when i give the super cleaning at the end of each season the barrel comes off choke tube out. then the hoppes bore cleaner is used. the choke threads cleaned with toothbrush. tube reinstalled and everything reswabbed untill patches come out clean. and barrel reinstalled tightly. hope i'm not missing a step. i use 3.5 in shells often. but it is used for all my turkey,rabbit, and squirrel hunting. only shotgun i own. thanks for the reply.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 29th, 2009, 3:50 am

Hey Edward,

Those 835's are great guns. I'm sorry to hear about your recent problems. I've worked with a lot of 835 shooters and will sure try to be of help to you.

Can you tell me a little more about what's happened to your patterns? Are you shooting the same shells and getting really different results? Is it your "core pattern" or the entire pattern?

Have you switched brands of shells? Were you shooting from the same batch of shells and just bought some new ones?

What brand, length and size of shot are you shooting?

I understand that's a lot of questions but maybe I can figure out what's happened and be of some help to you. I'll certainly do all that I can.

You can also feel free to e-mail me directly at clark@allaboutshooting.com

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 1st, 2009, 4:16 am

Hey Ed,

I've sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."