choke for Berreta 390

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
19rabbit52

choke for Berreta 390

Postby 19rabbit52 » May 2nd, 2009, 3:40 pm

Hi all. Been lurking here for quit awhile and decide it was time to ask a question. Currently hunt with a Moss. 835 and it is an awesome bang-flop gun. I've also owned a Berreta 390 for 5 or 6 years that I never hunt with. I did buy a turkey choke at Cabelas a couple years ago for it.  Choke is a .649, only have tried Rem premier, 3 inch #5 shot. 835 patterns way better ay 50 yards than this gun does at 40. Anyways looking for choke or and shot recommendation for the 390. Also I guess I'm cheap because I don't want to pay the price for other than lead loads when lead  works fine.

allaboutshooting

RE: choke for Berreta 390

Postby allaboutshooting » May 2nd, 2009, 4:29 pm

Hey Randy,

First of all, welcome to the T&TH site. It's a great place with helpful folks who'll share their experiences with you.

I don't know what kind of choke that .649 e.d. is but it could have potential. I think you might get much better patterns if you'd switch to some #6 shot. I'd recommend the Winchester HV (Black Shells) with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot. It's a great load.

I'd also recommend that you "deep clean" that barrel. I wrote an article, "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" and you can read it athttp://www.allaboutshooting.com

It can help your patterns a lot with that gun. You may also want to take a look at the SSX for the Beretta at that site. It works very well with your gun and all of the lead loads but best with #6 shot as well.

Best of luck and if I can be of any help, just let me know.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting