Rifle /Shotgun combo's

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Moonshine Gobbler

Rifle /Shotgun combo's

Postby Moonshine Gobbler » May 3rd, 2009, 8:49 am

Any body use them? I am thinking bout getting a Remington SPR94 for fall turkey season. It is a 12 ga 3" over 223.

Just wondering what your thought's are on these or this model gun.

thanks
R

Magnumdood

RE: Rifle /Shotgun combo's

Postby Magnumdood » May 3rd, 2009, 9:04 am

Are rifles legal for hunting turkeys where you hunt?
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

Moonshine Gobbler

Postby Moonshine Gobbler » May 3rd, 2009, 9:32 am

Yes, fall only.
Which is what I wanted it for. And it's a excuse, I mean reason to buy another gun.

R

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 3rd, 2009, 10:42 am

i've never been a fan of combo guns . i like the 223 and the 12 ga , but i want indivdual guns ,,,,that's just my preference . i would like to see that rem. 223 in a double rifle /s x s .
but , since you mentioned the 223 and i already own one ,, it's my opinion that before too long you and i will be paying dearly ,,IF,, we can even find the cartridges . ammo just keeps getting more and more expensive and find too. reloading is getting the same on certian calibers .

but i seemed to have jumped the ship . turkey hunting with rifles isn't legal where i live . and again my preference is the shotgun for both seasons , even if rifles were legal .

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 3rd, 2009, 11:53 am

Hey Roger,

We can't use any combination guns for hunting turkeys in Illinois. I grew up hunting squirrels with an old Savage combination .22 and .410. It gave me a choice of which to use and I liked it for that purpose.

I've seen the Remington combo guns but I have not shot one at all, so no help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

hunterjim

Postby hunterjim » May 4th, 2009, 2:18 am

They are legal here in WV for spring and fall and I assume so in VA as a lot of VA guys use them.  I just this year started using a combination 12ga/222 Valmet and so far haven't had to use the rifle.  The cool thing about the Valmet is that you can move the rifle barrel using 2 sets of screws to make it shoot dead on.  I had a Tikka briefly and the barrels did not shoot close enough to each other so I sold it and found the Valmet at a nearby shop.

Jim

MAK

Postby MAK » May 7th, 2009, 3:46 am

I carry a Valmet .223 / 12 ga - for PA fall turkey season.

The Remington is imported Russian Baikal (sp) - nice gun, last one I saw was a  little rough and a bit heavy (like the Valmet).

Don't forget about Savage, their version (also imported I believe), is a bit lighter.

MAK

Return to Shooting