best turkey broadhead

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
preacherbooney

best turkey broadhead

Postby preacherbooney » April 2nd, 2009, 11:47 am

I was looking to take a turkey this year with my bow and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions about what kind of broadhead to use.  I use a rage 3blade when hunting deer.  Is this ok to use on turkeys?  I looked at the guillotine, but I question how true it will fly.  Anybody used these?
in Christ

booney
2 Corinthians 5:21

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: best turkey broadhead

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 2nd, 2009, 12:48 pm

preacherbooney, First off I am not a bow hunter but I have several close friends that are. I would say stick with your rage broadheads. You and your bow are already tuned up to shoot them so I would use them. The guillotine type are for head / neck shots only and that a really small target that never seams to stay in one place long. You have to set them up a certain way to make them fly true if not they act more like a boom a rang. Just my 2 cents.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » April 3rd, 2009, 10:16 am

Agree with Ozarks on this one...I'm going to be using my bow as well and will use my Rage 3's...and i would use the Rage 3's over the Rage 2's in this situation.  The 3's are less likely to pass through the bird and keep the arrow in him which is what you want from what I understand.

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » April 4th, 2009, 7:39 am

WELCOME PREACHERBOONEY

I use a pse 70# mohave with easton st epic carbon arrows with the rage.  I  shot a nice tom in the fall from 10 yds. He ran about 20 yds and died. The arrow went through for a good clean kill.

SCHUNTER

Postby SCHUNTER » April 7th, 2009, 3:10 am

i shoot a 100 grain Strut Buster.hit my first one at 25 yrds.put him down
did'nt go 5 yrds.put a big hole in him.adn thay fly just as stright as your other broadhead.

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » April 7th, 2009, 6:23 pm

I'll second that motion, stick with what your doin'...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

leaflawnandlimb

Postby leaflawnandlimb » April 15th, 2009, 7:54 am

I have done alot of shooting with the guillotine head ( none at a turkey yet) but have had very good results. You do have to use a very stiff spined arrow w a 5" helical fether vane. and you do have to use the little plastic staws that slide on the blades.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » April 17th, 2009, 10:22 am

I disagree with the guillotine.  I shot it numerous times with numerous setups and can't get it as true as I would like it to. Especially at distances I know I can shoot good groups at.  I also tried and hear stories about the rage.  Yes, when it connects and works properly, the head is lethal, but I have heard stories and have also had some not open for me.  I do not think their flight pattern is as true as others I've tested as well. 

Since my trialing days, I've settled on one broadhead for turkeys that is consistent with my field tips time and time again and also stops a bird dead in his tracks.  It also eliminates pass through, which I've watched birds simply fly away or hustle the heck out of dodge with other heads.  I am talking about the "Turkey Tearror".  This broadhead allows me to shoot three inch groups at forty yards as well as put the game on the ground where it stands.  It's a good feeling when they just flop for a few seconds and expire instead of trying to track it down or use a dog to find your kill.  Just my two cents, but I will tell you this I will never go back to those "other" heads after some experiences I've had with them and I have yet to be dissappointed in the field the last 3 years from it.  Good luck.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

leaflawnandlimb

Postby leaflawnandlimb » April 17th, 2009, 12:07 pm

I have practiced with the guillotine up to 25 yards and have had good results. I agree it doesn't fly like a fieldpoint and I do have to change my sights from my normal Deer setup but I have achieved very good flight. I like the fact that it's either a clean kill or an unharmed bird. While practicing I'll shoot into an old pillow with a target taped to it. It will cut the paper clean and not even disturb the pillow. I have heard of people misjudging the distance and hitting the bird low in the breast area and other than a few missing feathers the bird was gobbling the next morning.

coltanlee

Postby coltanlee » April 23rd, 2009, 4:37 pm

Well here is my advice. I was up there at Bass Pro Shops the other day and was talking to the guy about the guillotine and he said for him they would never fly straight. the guy at my local archery shop says he loves them if the bird is within 15 yards. You do have to use a certain type of arrow and feather fletchings to make it spot on. Right now im using the Turkey Tearror. I guess it is all up to whatever you can shoot best with and be consistent with. Its all trial and error brother. use what works best for you. Shoot with what you want to try. Let me know what you decide and good luck. here is a pic of the broadhead i use. It flies like a field tip.

Next

Return to Shooting