Shot size?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Cut N Run

Shot size?

Postby Cut N Run » May 10th, 2009, 4:40 am

I'm curious as to what shot size most turkey hunters prefer and why.

I shoot Federal 3"  2 oz. of #6's because they pattern well out of my gun.  A friend & his father both use Winchester 3" 1 & 3/4 oz. of #6's for the same reason.

I've never had that load fail (unless I missed) though I've heard of guys shooting birds in range (with that same size shot) & rolling them or cutting feathers and not collecting the turkey.

Opinions please.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Moonshine Gobbler

RE: Shot size?

Postby Moonshine Gobbler » May 10th, 2009, 4:48 am

I agree, shoot what patterns well out of your gun. I have shot #4 lead, #5 lead, #5 hevi shot, and #6 heavy weight.

There is also #8, #9 tss that I would love to try. It just seams weird using something that small, but the #6 fed's heavy weight hit harder than #4 lead in my penetration test.

As for now I shoot Fed #6 heavy weight 3 1/2"

R

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » May 10th, 2009, 6:46 am

If lead sixes have the energy to kill a bird 100% of the time at ethical ranges than why not shoot it??? It is a rare case anymore where 4s or 5s will put more pellets on target than sixes so basically you are waisting energy and pattern density.

I switched to Hevi 7s this year they have enough energy to kill birds beyond where my pattern disinegrates and provide a nice even pattern.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » May 10th, 2009, 6:50 am

I shoot a Remington 1100 20ga with a Rem SF turkey choke and the new Federal HW FC #6's.  They pattern better than the EM Hevi-shot waterfowl #6's that I used to shoot.  I have patterned them to 37 measured yards and killed a bird on 5/4 at 40 yards.  He went down clean. 
I will be testing the Federal HW FC #7's sometime before the fall.  Before I switched to the 20ga I shot a Benelli BE 12ga with Winchester Extends #5's but that gun gave me a headache every year sighting in.  If we ever get a new contract at work(4 plus years w/o) I may treat myself to another 1100 but in 12ga and have my gunsmith 'tweek' it like my 20ga.

Charlie Belle

dawei

Postby dawei » May 12th, 2009, 7:18 pm

[color="#0000ff"]I use two guns and three loads............

Mossberg® Mdl 500C 26" barrel w/.570 Hastings™ Choke - Hevi13™ 1¼oz #6
Mossberg® Mdl 500C 26" barrel w/.555 Swarm™ Choke - Federal® Mag Shok™ 1 5/16oz #6 (Pb)
Remington® Mdl SPR220 26½" barrels w/.570 & .575" Colonial Chokes - Remington® Nitro Turkey™ 1¼oz #5 (Pb) [/color]
David
Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

grizzly

Postby grizzly » May 13th, 2009, 12:31 am

over the years i've try many differant shot sizes and shell lenghts and i always seem to come back to a three inch number six as being the around best for the way i hunt

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 13th, 2009, 7:06 am

Back in 1994, I started out with Remington 3 in #5s because everyone told me they were a good compromise between #4s and #6s. I missed the first turkey I ever shot at... a bit on the far side it turned out, at about 40 yards.

I was determined not to let that happen again and began a full on quest to learn as much about shotgun ballistics (at least as they applied to turkey hunting) as possible. I read everything I could get my hands on, primarily articles by Jay Langston, former shooting editior of NWTF Turkey Call and contributor to T &TH. Jay constantly emphasized the importance of downrange energy for killing turkeys, even at the partial expense of pattern density. I switched to Federal 3 in #4s which made sense, given the open pastureland that I hunt in Missouri.

Do #6s pattern better out of my Winchester 1300? Slightly. But what may be misinterpreted as a "better" pattern may just be that there are 30% more pellets involved. The #4s still pattern well and I saw marked improvement in that about 5 years ago when Federal introduced their Flite-Control wad. Too tight a pattern is not always better for turkeys as anyone who has missed a 10-yard shot can attest.

It turns out that Jay's research on down range energy foreshadowed the Hevi-Shot revolution. More importantly, I have not missed a turkey in the ensuing 15 years and have made two kills at over 50 yards.

Hunting habitat and conditions should be a consideration when selecting shot size. I know Cut' n' Run hunts thick vegetation where shots are seldom longer than 20 yards or unobstructed, so in his case #6s probably make more sense. For the pastures of Missouri and farmland of Michigan that I hunt, #4s are the ticket.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 13th, 2009, 12:36 pm

Three inch #4 federal mag-shok. I love how they pattern from my gun! The turkey I killed this year took the entire load right in the neck and head at 30 yards. He never knew what hit him!
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » May 14th, 2009, 2:24 pm

Evening all,
     I also tried the 3 in. Federal #4 mags this year and LOVE THEM. I used winchester loads last year with OK results and decided this spring to try something different. The Federals were the first ones I tried with great results. 3 big Toms this spring, 2 at 40 yds and 1 at 35 yds, nocked flat. Very clean kills. By the way, I have a Remington 870 with the shur-shot stock. 
May your shells be live and your Toms be monsters

Return to Shooting