Foam bow targets

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
retranger

Foam bow targets

Postby retranger » August 3rd, 2011, 2:27 am

I have a PSE 50 - 60 lb bow and have been shooting at a gander mt layered target. This year the arrows were going through to the fletchings and some clean through. Time for a new target? not really ,,,, I purchased a can of the high expansion foam from a building supply. ($4.00 to $8.00). Not the one used for cauking around window and doors!!!! Putting the nozzle into several places in the target I released the foam from the can a little at a time. You have to be careful not to do alot at a time and give it a chance to expand or alot will just push its way out and be wasted. After it cured my target now stops my arrows again. I suspect it will be good now for at least the rest of this season. Much cheaper than a new $80.00 target.[;)][;)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

allaboutshooting

RE: Foam bow targets

Postby allaboutshooting » August 3rd, 2011, 4:52 am

That's a good tip Doug. I used to shoot a PSE Fireflight when I bow hunted and still have it stored away somewhere. As long as I used aluminum shafts, my targets were okay but the carbon fiber shafts would go all the way through every time. I lost a few arrows that way. It's so important to have a good target that stops the arrows not only from an expense side but also from a safety side.

Recently there was a lady on television who was shot just below her eye with a stray arrow from a neighbor...while she was in her kitchen. The arrow penetrated the window glass and struck her. She remove the arrow and went about her business of watching her grandchildren, until their parents returned and took her to the ER. One tough lady!

Thanks again for the tip. It's a good one.

Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Limb Hanger

RE: Foam bow targets

Postby Limb Hanger » August 4th, 2011, 4:26 am

Doug - Another quick fix for the layered target is a couple of ratchet straps and 2 small pieces of 3/4 inch plywood. The plywood should be the approximate size of the top/bottom of the target. Place a piece of plywood on the top and bottom, wrap one rachet strap near the front and the other close to the back. Compress the target.

I shoot in my basement year round, 15 yards is the max distance. My Hoyt is at just over 80 lbs, and have determined that concrete walls aren't forgiving. The ratchet straps did the trick for me.

Ed
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

Return to Shooting