tactical vs. standard stock

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
nhtrkybstr

tactical vs. standard stock

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 15th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Ok, ladies and gentlemen,

What type of grip/ stock do you like on your turkey gun, tactical, or standard, and why.

I shoot a mossberg 535 w/ tactical stock and pistol grip. I like this combo because I can adjust the length of my stock, and I like the pistol grip for quick target aquisition.
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Cut N Run

RE: tactical vs. standard stock

Postby Cut N Run » May 15th, 2009, 7:30 pm

I shoot the pistol grip stock that comes standard on a Benelli SBE II.  My best hunting buddy has a tactical stock on his SBE and really likes it for turkey hunting.  I am fond of the recoil reducers in the SBE II stock and will likely stick with it...until they come out with a tactical with that feature.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » May 17th, 2009, 9:10 am

I've got a Remington 870 with the ShurShot pistol grip stock. I love it. It's alot more comfortable than a reg. stock when you have to sit and wait for long periods of time. Plus it just looks cool. lol
May your shells be live and your Toms be monsters

TCHunts

Postby TCHunts » May 19th, 2009, 6:07 am

Hello Hunters,

Although not necessarily a tactical stock, I have/use a Remington 870 Thumbhole turkey gun. I bought the gun in 2006. About 18 months later Remington came out with the ShurShot stock. There are several pros and cons of a thumbhole. I have listed a few of each below.

Pros.
- when your hand is on/in the thumbhole, your had feels "locked into" the stock, almost a part of the gun, the thumbhole fits to the hand like a cast
- a very stable and comfortable platform
- great for still and grounded/ground level targets such as deer and turkey

Cons.
- specific to one sided shooter (e.g., only for right, or left handed shooters, depending on cut of stock)
- if the stock is cut for a righty, if a shot presents itself on your opposite side, the stock is not set up to be shot from the "off-hand"
- somewhat heavy
- too limiting

I am strongly considering, and would strongly suggest to others who are looking for a tactical stock to go with a pistol grip stock or ShurShot stock. Avoid a thumbhole stock. It is too limiting. I read other replies that mentioned tactical collapsible stocks such as that of the CAR 15 or other tactical weapons. I handled a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Tactical Turkey gun which has a collapsible tactical stock. Although a nice gun, I did not find it all that comforitable or sturdy. I can see the benefit though of an easily adjustable length of pull. Another consideration if you are a pump gun user like myself, look for a gun or stock with an extended fore end. For example the Remington ShurShot, or Benelli Supernova. I have a shorter stature and leng of reach, so having a pump handle that reaches the receiver when the action is closed is a good thing. My final verdict: although some things can go from tactical to practical, some things belong on the battlefield, and others belong in the hunting field. To conclude, I suggest looking for something like the Benelli Steadygrip, the Remington ShurShot, or the Speedfeed III (3) pistol grip stock.

Happy Hunting.

TCHunts 

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 19th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Welcome to the forum TCH.

I have the Remington ShurShot on my 870, and I love it. It's really a modified thumbhole, or a hybrid between a thumbhole and a pistol grip stock. For one thing, it's ambidextrous. But the big benefit is that my wrist stays much straighter than it would on a conventional curved pistol grip, which makes the gun hold steady, and helps tame recoil.

When I first saw the stock, I didn't like it from an aesthetic standpoint. But when I put it up to my shoulder I immediately decided I had to have one. I used to shoot a Mossberg 835, and liked it OK, but recoil on that thing was a beast. The 870 ShurShot feels like it has much less recoil.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Warbird

Postby Warbird » May 21st, 2009, 8:56 am

I like both..I put a knoxx recoil suppression stock on one of my 870's and really like it. I think you lose some aiming ability without having a solid rest for the cheek but I killed some birds so no problems there. I think the cheek riser power pak for it is not needed to hunt turkeys but others may feel differently.   

Return to Shooting