Remington ShurShot choke/load combos

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Mechanik

Remington ShurShot choke/load combos

Postby Mechanik » April 21st, 2009, 10:31 am

My buddy and I each have brand new ShurShot Supermags (myself the 1187, him the 870), and we have spent a bit of time patterning, but ran out of time/ammo on the weekend to fully test everything we wanted to.

So far at 40 yards we are having best results with Hevi-13 3.5" 1 3/4 oz #6, both out of the bundled RemChoke HD Turkey/Predator choke (.670) and with the Primos Jelly Head .665.  The RemChoke HD pattern seems overall more consistently dense all the way to the edge of the pattern, whereas the Jelly Head seems to have some small gaps in it out past 10".  The Jelly Head seems to get about a 5-6" spot in the middle of the pattern though which is much denser than the HD gets.

What are people's experience with these chokes in these guns?  I don't have the money right now for a new choke, so going with an Indian Creek is out of the question for right now.  Right now I'm inclined to stick with the Jelly Head because I'd rather have that area of density in the kill zone, even if it's not consistent all the way out.  Thoughts?

I'd like to try the new Hevi-13 2 1/4 oz loads, but they're not available here (Southern Ontario, Canada) yet as near as I can tell.  In fact the only place I can even find Hevi-13 at all is Bass Pro Shops.  I would tend to think that extra 1/2 oz of shot makes a big difference.  Is that difference worth the extra $10 a box though?

I'm curious as well as to how the Winchester Elite HD 3.5" stuff in #6 will compare in these guns/chokes to the Hevi-13.  I had some 3" Win Elite HD #6 shells that I tried compared to 3" Hevi-13 #6 and they seemed basically comparable, but neither were nearly as good as the Hevi-13 3.5" 1 3/4 oz.

I tried out Win HD 3" #4's and Hevi 13 #4's in both 3" and 3.5", but the patterns were not terribly good compared to #6's.  You'd kill turkeys with them probably, but it would be dicey.

Any feedback people have would be appreciated.  High density shells are expensive, and clearly I've already spent a small fortune experimenting already, so if someone has some direct advice as to what will work better in these specific guns with these specific chokes, it will be very useful to us.

NEbeardhunter21

RE: Remington ShurShot choke/load combos

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » May 14th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Welcome to the forum Mechanik!
       I also have a 870 with the shurshot stock and LOVE IT! I haven't tried alot of different loads but I am having great success with the 3 in Federal #4 shot mags. I have killed 2 big birds this spring at 40 yds, very clean kills. I am using the stock x-tra full choke that came with my gun.
May your shells be live and your Toms be monsters

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » May 15th, 2009, 6:02 am

Mechanik-

Sent you a PM.

CB

Warbird

Postby Warbird » May 21st, 2009, 9:03 am

M,
I have great results when patterning the .665 JH with 3.5" 2-1/4oz 6's. This shell patterns a lot better than the 1-3/4 oz IMO but it's another half oz of shot so..I'd expect it right off although thats not always the case. Also, I am not choke bias and Indian Creek makes an awesome choke but we had better patterns with the JH in the 870. Both chokes were .665...JMO    

Return to Shooting