Suggestions for a gun-choke-shell.

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
TCHunts

Suggestions for a gun-choke-shell.

Postby TCHunts » May 18th, 2009, 5:10 pm

Hello fellow hunters,

I am writing this post to get your input about a shell-gun-choke combo. At present I have a Remington 870 SPS-T Camo Thumbhole, 3 1/2" Super Mag with a 23" barrel. I am using the choke tube that came with it which is a Remington Super-full turkey choke.

Has anyone that has used this gun and choke combo found a load that has the "best" results?

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: Suggestions for a gun-choke-shell.

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » May 19th, 2009, 4:53 am

TC I think the ID of the Remington Super Full choke is .665. You will just have to experiment with some different shell and see what works best for you. But I would think that choke would lend itself to shoot # 5 lead or # 6 Hevi.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

TCHunts

Postby TCHunts » May 19th, 2009, 5:06 am

Ozarks Hillbilly,

Thanks for the feed back. I was looking for a #4 shot size that would be best. However your suggestion to downsize to #5 or #6 is something I will now have to consider very seriously.

For anyone else who has the same questions as me, see Mechanik's post titled Remington ShurShot choke/load combos, posted on April 21, 2009, for additional info. The Remington 870 ShureShot turkey is much the same as the Thumbhole, just a different stock.

Keep the feedback and input coming. I greatly appreciate it. Any other "recipes" for the choke/load combo that may suite me setup, please let me know.

Happy Hunting to all.

TCHunts

shaman

Postby shaman » May 19th, 2009, 5:54 am

I just switched to a Dead Coyote choke for 2009.  I'm shooting #4 Federals (3"/2 oz) .  The results have been quite impressive. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 19th, 2009, 3:41 pm

ORIGINAL: TCHunts

Keep the feedback and input coming. I greatly appreciate it. Any other "recipes" for the choke/load combo that may suite me setup, please let me know.

Happy Hunting to all.

TCHunts

My 870 ShurShot also has the super-full turkey choke. I used a Nitro shell on the gobbler I shot May 8. It was devastating at 30 yards. It's loaded with 4s, 5s, and 7s. I don't like paying $5 for a shell, so I'll probably pattern the gun before next year.

My gunsmith checked the bore and said Remington appears to have lengthened the forcing cone on these guns. He's confident that it's a 60-yard turkey gun with the right choke and shells -- at least 50 yards with the choke it has. It doesn't matter to me -- I've only ever shot at two gobblers beyond 30 yards. I just want to know that when I pull the trigger there will be a gobbler will die.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Warbird

Postby Warbird » May 21st, 2009, 7:09 am

TC,

As simple as possible if you don't want to shoot HTL (heavier than lead) would be the choke you have with WIN supreme 6's or a Jellyhead .660 with the same shell..If you are interested in HTL setups pm me and we'll talk some more...NICE GUN THERE! Its a fine choice.

tickbait

Postby tickbait » May 22nd, 2009, 7:54 am

Hey,

If I were you I would call Rob Roberts at Gobbler Guns (870-251-9955) and ask him what he thinks. Rob knows more about shotguns/loads/chokes than anyone I know and can provide you with professional advice. Yes Gobbler Guns sells chokes and other services, but this is a company founded by turkey hunters for turkey hunters. I have no doubts that Rob will give you the lowdown on how to get you all that gun will give. If it is worth a phone call to get free advice from a pro I'd take it.

Take care and good luck,
"If you ain't sure don't shoot!"
http://gobblerguns.com

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 24th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Welcome to the T&TH forum. I've been "away" for a while so pardon my not welcoming you sooner. You have a fine gun in that Remington 870. I shoot several of those in both 12 gauge and 20 gauge and find them to be great shooters.

I use both the thumbhole stock and the ShurShot stocks and see advantages to both.  I like the longer LOP of the thumbhole but like the flexibility of the ShurShot. I'd hate of have to choose one over the other.

There are in my experience, several very good choices for shotshells and turkey chokes for your gun. In my Remingtons, I get great results with 3 different 12 gauge shotshells. In no particular order, the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shell with 2 oz. of #6 shot; the 3" Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density shell with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot and the 3" Winchester HV shell with 1.75 oz. of #6 lead shot all work well.

Any of those shells with the SSX Turkey Choke will deliver very dense, turkey killing patterns at 40+ yards when I "deep clean" my barrel. That's an important step toward maximizing the performance of any shotshell/choke combination.

"Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" at http://www.allaboutshooting.com outlines the "deep cleaning" procedure.

Best of luck and if I can be of help, just let me know.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting