Scopes on Turkey Guns: yes or no?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
jedipastorken

RE: Scopes on Turkey Guns: yes or no?

Postby jedipastorken » May 21st, 2009, 4:24 pm

I'm with most, I think, to do what you feel most comfortable with. 

I hunted with a '67 JC Higgins SxS that my grandfather hunted with.  There is no way I'm going to add anything that would change up this gun.  I would think, for most of us, classic or firearms with sentimental value would make one hesitant.  With another gun, I might consider it. 

I did add a HiViz magnet bead on the front and dropped my first bird of the season at 40 yards.  That certainly helped as did taking a lot of time to pattern the gun.  Then I just popped it off, cleaned it and set it aside for dove season.

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » May 25th, 2009, 4:10 pm

I have taken turkeys with both scopes and fiber optic sights. I have taken birds with both at close range and with both at 46 yards. Never had a problem with either. As using them for longer ranges like 80 yards that probally has been thought of by some. But not by me. I first started using a scope when my eyes strated going bad. I then got contacts so I decide to go back to my fiber optics sights. Plus one reason was cause I hunted in the raain sometimes. I was afraid of the scope getting wet. Then when I started to shot more tighter chokes I decided to go back to a scope. Too me the scope is easer to shot than beads or fiber optic sights. It is just my way of thinking. Will I ever shot without a scope. You betcha. To each his own. If you want a scope go for it. They are really fun.
Mike

Warbird

Postby Warbird » May 27th, 2009, 8:55 am

I like NC's view of the reasons for shooting a scope...I for one like a scope but do have rigs without scopes..I believe the scope give superior performance on dialing in your pattern hands down...  

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » May 28th, 2009, 10:51 pm

The Bushnell Holosight, EOTech Holosight and Burris Fast Fire II are excellent choices.  All have unlimited eye-relief.  If you can see the circle dot, from whatever contorted position the Gobbler has you in, when you pull the trigger, the shot is going where the dot is resting.

Another new sight on the market, the Leupold Prismatic, has all the advantages of the Holosights and it also has an etched reticle that is can be used even if the illumination fades.

All of these sights have no magnification, have unlimited eye-relief, are parallax free and can be mounted in any number of positions. 

I had an EOTech, then went to a scope, now I have gone back to the EOTech.  They're pricey, as is the Leupold Prismatic, but I believe they are worth it and are better suited for turkey hunting than a scope.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » May 29th, 2009, 1:56 am

Hey dood one thing to mention about those sights are that they are Parallax free. Since they are zero power they have a large field of view.
Mike

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » May 29th, 2009, 3:06 pm

I mentioned it.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

Previous

Return to Shooting