Scopes on Turkey Guns: yes or no?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
turkeyslayer

RE: Scopes on Turkey Guns: yes or no?

Postby turkeyslayer » May 1st, 2009, 8:07 am

I say use a scope young lad, for it will greatly increase your turkey hunting potential, and abilities.
[8D]

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » May 1st, 2009, 4:07 pm

I say use a scope if you feel like it.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 6th, 2009, 1:05 pm

ORIGINAL: Magnumdood

I say use a scope if you feel like it.

Exactly!  Whatever floats your boat & makes you a better (legal) turkey hunter, go with it.

If the red dot I have had not thrown the balance of my gun off, I still would be using it.  The sight picture was clear and whatever I put that dot on was going to get the center of the pattern.  If I could find a way to gain those advantages without making my gun feel awkward, I'd go for it.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 6th, 2009, 2:06 pm

I've killed turkeys with and without scoped shotguns. I have to say, I'm a big fan of scopes. The bird I killed this year was from a scoped shotgun. The bird I killed last year, was from the same gun w/o a scope. I think like so many here have stated, it comes down to what works for you. I'm just not a huge fan of open sights.
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » May 6th, 2009, 4:16 pm

I have a Bushnell trophy multi color/ multi reticle red dot on my mossberg 835. I really like it. It was really neat to shoot at targets and I just shot a jake with it on friday mornin. I have the reticle set on the circle with a 3 MOA dot in the middle. The bird was at 25 yards and I put his head inside the circle and the dot right on his head and he went down like a ton of bricks. It was a really cool experience.  I am glad I made the decision to buy it and put it on the gun.

mossbergboy

Postby mossbergboy » May 8th, 2009, 1:58 am

yes my turkey gun is scoped and i have the turkey reticle and i cant get enough of it i love it

turkeyinme

Postby turkeyinme » May 8th, 2009, 4:08 am

I don't but probably should because I get so worked up I have to say to myself, line them up over and over because I use fiber optic sights. I know my gun don't get me wrong I just get really worked up and I want to make sure I make a clean shot. My husband uses a scope and absolutely wouldn't be without one again. 

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » May 14th, 2009, 10:19 am

ORIGINAL: turkeyinme

I get so worked up I have to say to myself, line them up over and over because I use fiber optic sights. I know my gun don't get me wrong I just get really worked up and I want to make sure I make a clean shot.  

aaahhhh...aint turkey hunting grand

dood,aint seen ya around lately...hope all is well

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 14th, 2009, 10:44 am

Here's my confession.

I went to a scope on my moss 535 when after last year I shot right over the birds head. I was lucky. He hung around long enough for me to compose myself, and get him with a follow up shot. My problem, I think, is that I misaligned my front and rearsights.

I have always used scopes for all my guns. I find it to be better for me.

On the turkey I killed this year, I used a scope, and no need for a second shot.

I don't think at a level, there really should be a debate that leans to only yes or no for scopes on turkey guns. Think about how many calls there are by how many manufacturers, and we all have our preferances as to what we like. What I carry into the woods to call turkeys with, may not be what anyone else would use.

The point is, we are all serious about what methods we use to dispatch quickly and humanely the bird we all so love to hunt.

At the end of the day, isn't that all that matters?
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 14th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Based on ones physical build and what kind of comfortable position he or she has to get into ,,,,that is , sitting at a tree on the ground ,,,I can see how a scope would be beneficial .The scope allows the hunter/shooter to keep his/her head up in a more comfortable position when sitting on the ground .  It's very difficult for me to sit on the ground , with the gun on my knee, or on my hand which is on my knee , and maintain a perfect sight picture with only a bead or open sights . The head will automatically want to return to a more relaxed position , which is upright and away from the gun stock , which in turn during the highest level of excitement leaves many of us shooting a hole in the sky instead of wattles .
 But , I don't have a scope on my double . I choose to go unaided , even if it means taking a running shot . And the older I get the less I sit on the ground ,,,,,I stand many times and just lean against a tree . I can stand still longer than I can sit .
Like you stated , to each his own . what works for me just may not fit most hunters .And even though I've been using scopes all my life I prefer not to have to take a running shot on a turkeys head with a scoped shotgun .
Seems like everything has a give and take , advantage and disadvantage about it .

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting