CHANGING POINT OF IMPACT

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Warbird

RE: CHANGING POINT OF IMPACT

Postby Warbird » June 6th, 2009, 6:15 am

The forked tree is a crude trick indeed. I witnessed a fella put a Benelli SBE barrel in his porch steps....Oddly enough 6 or 7 tries tweaking it and he moved the POI 12 inches and is back to shootin good with it. He had knocked the gun from a leaning position and it hit a stump when it finally hit the ground. Bent the barrel ...Them things arent indestructible.. don't know if I could have done that with a $500 dollar barrel

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 6th, 2009, 8:16 am

I was not the only one to shoot the gun last weekend . The feller I traded with is a BIG ol' boy . Myself, well , I can nearly hide behind a good fat handle on a broom . If I had been the only one shooting , I would have blamed the ''low and right '' factor on something I did. But it shot the same place for Chad as well. I'll do some more investigating as soon as I can get some shells .Da'gummit they are HIGH!

eggshell

Postby eggshell » June 6th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Mark,

I had the same problem with my Browning semi auto last year, but i knew it was my bad. I had hit it hard enough to knock the front bead off. I tried just compensating my aim, but after missing three longbeards I took it to my hunting buddy who is a knife maker/blacksmith/ gunsmith/ do it all guy. We bore sighted it after tweaking  it with a padded rod and a vise ( we new right where the bend was) Then we finished zeroing it in with a set of after market sights.  Four gobblers wished I hadn't fixed it this year. Over all we had to ccorrect the POI by a little over nine inches. You May well have to finish the job with some adjustable sights, I did. There is supposed to be someone around Hillsboro that does pretty reasonable work...try asking the guys at Towne & Country.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 6th, 2009, 2:26 pm

Yes I know the man you are speaking of . I really want to use the gun in its original configuration. But after all options have been explored and considered I just may have to do the ''after market'' sights or scope it up . I have all summer to get it right ,,,,,more time than money anyway, and if push comes to shove I still have my SxS 12. The .410 is just a challenge I want to pursue . At any rate , thanks for your input Eggshell .

Previous

Return to Shooting