Unique turkey/coyote slayer

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
AppalachianMtnMan

Unique turkey/coyote slayer

Postby AppalachianMtnMan » June 26th, 2009, 4:35 am

Picking this up as my next acquisition. It comes with a tru-glo site bead, no optics or flashlight and I won't be adding them.
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php
Will be doing the following mods instantly on purchase, get it dipped in Mossy Oak Obsession, the forcing cone lengthened, having it threaded to accept Mossberg 500 chokes, and rechambered for 3.5" shells. I'm already getting a price on that work. This will be a 40 yd and under gun for the most part. I know there are better guns for cheaper, [beeep] my current Mossberg 500 Grand Slam Turkey edition  is setup with everything but the 3.5" from the factory and was way cheaper, but I want something different. I wanted to get some opinions,is it cool, or will it be nice when I get it set up the way I want, or is it ignorant anyway it goes?

mark hay

RE: Unique turkey/coyote slayer

Postby mark hay » June 26th, 2009, 5:01 am

I've often wondered when a gunmaker would bring out something like that . That is neat for sure . I suppose it has ejectors being a defense gun as well as a single trigger .

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » June 26th, 2009, 7:53 am

I'd rather have 2 triggers in a double.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 26th, 2009, 8:34 am

I too prefer double triggers on a hunting arm . But as a home defense gun the single trigger would be a mite faster to get both shots off if it were needed .

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 26th, 2009, 9:31 am

Hey Jordan,

Welcome to the T&TH site. We're glad you're here and look forward to hearing more from you.  I know you'll find this to be a good place.

That's the first time I've seen that gun. It's very interesting and has some good features that I really like. I had a Fox SxS modified many years ago with barrels cut and threaded for chokes, sling swivels installed and extensive chamber and barrel work performed. I had the chambers lengthened from 2.75" to 3". My gun has 2 triggers and extractors. It's short, quick and very easy to carry in the turkey woods.

It is also very, very loud and is a real kicker. I use a Shooter's Friend slip on recoil pad and that helps. The only negative I see about that gun is the porting. That does not seem in keeping with a defensive type shotgun. Used at night, it would give off a definite light signature and could effect night vision. On a short barreled hunting gun, it would make it even louder and really will not help with recoil reduction at all.

I'd recommend that you leave the 3" chamber as it is. You can get all that you need from a 3" shell and with a 3.5" shell, that gun will be so unpleasant to shoot that it would be easy to develop a flinch, in my opinion.

All in all it's quite a neat looking shotgun and it's always fun to have a new one and experiment with new ideas.

If I can help in any way, just let me know and I'll do all I can to be of assistance.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » June 26th, 2009, 3:44 pm

I think the local Gander Mt had just plain old SxS with Stogers name on them for less money.  Also they already had screw in chokes.  A 26" double will be about the same length as a 18-20 in pump or auto.  You have the option of chokes for close or far.  I too have gone the SxS route, only mine has two triggers, hammers, nipples and a ramrod.  
Mounting a scope would be no problem.
BTW welcome.[:D] 
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » June 26th, 2009, 4:52 pm

ORIGINAL: mark hay

I too prefer double triggers on a hunting arm . But as a home defense gun the single trigger would be a mite faster to get both shots off if it were needed .

Speed is a mute point considering it only holds 2 shots. Who in there right mind would defend there family with 2 shots?
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

AppalachianMtnMan

Postby AppalachianMtnMan » June 26th, 2009, 5:03 pm

I'm glad I found this site. I like the idea of hunting with a sxs because of all the reasons mentioned plus the extra challenge of only having two shells. It seems a lot of the turkey hunters I meet anymore have the impression that if you don't have the newest fastest cycling auto loader, holding about 7 or 8 3.5" mags sighted through the highest money sight they can afford, and wearing or carrying something of the highest money tecnicool cammies and gear. These guys are outfitted with like $3000 to hunt a turkey. I'm ready to simplefy it again. Yes I'm having some high tech mods done to the ol sxs to bring it into the 21st century, but at the end of the day it's still gonna be a break open 2 shot sxs shotgun, carried by an old Tennessee country boy wearing his Marine Corp Cammies on leave trying to get an old long beard. Now thats my kinda turkey hunting.

AppalachianMtnMan

Postby AppalachianMtnMan » June 26th, 2009, 5:21 pm

ORIGINAL: wisturkeyhunter

ORIGINAL: mark hay

Speed is a mute point considering it only holds 2 shots. Who in there right mind would defend there family with 2 shots?

If it takes more than two shots from a twelve gauge your gonna be in trouble anyways. Most attackers will scatter and run like hell after that first boom. besides I'm not buying the gun for home defense, I already have these hanging beside the bed, plus some in the closet and in other places, and I don't have kids so all my guns stay loaded with the safety on and one in the chamber.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » June 26th, 2009, 6:27 pm

ORIGINAL: AppalachianMtnMan

If it takes more than two shots from a twelve gauge your gonna be in trouble anyways. Most attackers will scatter and run like hell after that first boom. besides I'm not buying the gun for home defense, I already have these hanging beside the bed, plus some in the closet and in other places, and I don't have kids so all my guns stay loaded with the safety on and one in the chamber.

Cocked and locked just like God meant 'em to be.  I like that double you have picked out.  Marrying the tactical picatinney rail with an old coach gun look.  Pretty cool.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

Next

Return to Shooting