Shooter/Hunter Fatigue

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
briar52

RE: Shooter/Hunter Fatigue

Postby briar52 » June 29th, 2009, 1:31 pm

I have an 870 super mag that has been left at home more and more. When I purchased the gun I also purchased 3 boxes of Rem Nitro and a set of targets. I have learned why the old boxers talk funny. I put a butt pad but even with a 3' load it is like being hit with a rag covered hammer. It never left the basement this year. I was considering a .20 ga but after reading Marks bragging on his .410, Im leaning that way. Afterall, I killed my first rabbit in 62 with a .410.

As far as being in shape, well Im usually not very dedicated to that. I compensate by walking slower, carrying less gear, more water, and staying put longer. By the third day, I am apt to be asleep somewhere in the woods. But don't think Im not enjoying it. To me its all just huntin'. 
Jim

"Every failure brings with it the seeds of an equivalent success."
Napoleon Hill

(I was taught to respect my elders, but they are getting harder to find.)

TCHunts

Postby TCHunts » July 4th, 2009, 8:27 am

[font=calibri]I read some of the posts on hunting and shooter fatigue. Admittedly I did not give all of them a thorough read yet, so my topics may have already been covered. I intend to give the post a more thorough read over the next couple of days.
[font=calibri] I find that mosquitoes are a big nuisance when out hunting, particularly in the spring turkey hunt. They don't bother me much until they are right around the ears. That "buzzzzzzz" in the ear gets me every time. I have to swat at them as a natural reaction and that movement blows my cover.
[font=calibri]Another issue, which I am certain gets to every hunter and outdoors person, is temperature. I can sit in the rain all day and it won't bother me. But temperature is something that is a little harder to manage. The spring turkey hunt is one of the best hunts of the year because of the temperature and weather conditions. That said, I can remember one spring hunt I was on where it was so cold and windy that the temperature was -7 Celsius with the wind chill and precipitation...in late April.  I had checked the weather forecast and it had not called for that. That morning I went out dressed for a cool morning and had the additional layer of a homemade burlap ghillie suit. After enduring the elements for almost three hours I had reached hypothermia stage two, uncontrollable shivering and inability to complete full thoughts/sentences. My fiancé had already gone back to the vehicle about an hour and a half earlier. By the time I got back to the vehicle I realized that that was just unbearable and a foolish decision on my part to stay. As probably assumed, the only foolish tom I saw that day was myself.
[font=calibri]            Conversely, one early November white-tail hunt proved to have some unbelievable heat. On the Tuesday of the hunt it reached 28 Celsius. Luckily I had dressed lightly for the hunt. By the time I had gotten back to the camp I was soaked, not from precipitation, but from perspiration. The rest of the week I ended up in a long sleeve; button up Cabela's guide shirt. It is light and breathable. If you do not yet have one, I suggest you consider getting one. Unfortunately they only have blaze orange, and MAX-4 at this time. Something comparable would be a wise thing to look for.
[font=calibri] I have never hunted in any temperatures less than -15 Celsius, nor +30 Celsius. Sure, I have, and can prepare for the weather conditions, but you just never know what it is going to be like until you are actually out there. I am the kind of hunter who does not have every day of the season to hunt, so I have to hunt when the opportunity presents itself, regardless of the conditions.
[font=calibri]            Shooter fatigue is a topic that I read in some of the discussion posts. I can attest having experienced serious shooter fatigue. When I bought my Remington 870 Thumbhole Turkey Gun I also bought a fully rifled cantilever deer barrel for big game hunting. I also bought a Nikon Slug Hunter shotgun scope. In all of my enthusiasm I went out and bought 55 Hornady SST sabot shotgun slugs. With that same enthusiasm I went to the range with my dad and began to sight in the scope. I was younger and less wise then, and the experience was quite a lesson. I began sighting in the scope at 25 yds., progressively moving out to 100 yds. The results were not pleasing me enough, so I kept at it, trying to get satisfactory results. What a mistake, so many factors played into why I was not getting the results I wanted. The biggest factor was shooter fatigue, which I was refusing to admit. After about the 7th or 8th shot I was feeling it. By the 50th shot I was pretty rattled. My shoulder hurt constantly for 3-4 months, and another 3 months after that occasionally. That was a lesson that will stay with me forever...shoot in moderation.
[font=calibri]Not only have I fired some big slug loads, and many of them, I have done the same with turkey loads. I know you fellow turkey hunters have done the same. Some of the 3 ½" turkey loads out there will give one big wallop. I took my turkey gun out to the range to pattern it one day, and after fiver rounds at various ranges, I had had enough. My slug testing days taught me that less can be more at the range. What I mean is, shoot in moderation. Shoot five rounds a day over five days, not 25 rounds in one day. What do you achieve shooting all that big ammo all at once? Not much in my opinion. Just an empty bank account, empty hulls, and...well hopefully targets full of holes.
[font=calibri]All of that said about shooting, can anyone back me up on this next thought. Regardless of how much you are thinking of that boom and kick at the range, when a target steps out in front of you, be it a deer or a turkey, you don't even seem to feel it when you touch off that turkey taming shoulder cannon. I have spoken to many hunters who agree. When you get that target in your sights, and you pull the trigger, you don't even seem to notice the kick. Sometimes even the bang does not seem to be that loud.
[font=calibri]On an end note, I look forward to receiving your responses, and to reading the other discussion posts under this topic.
[font=calibri] 
[font=calibri]               Happy Hunting.
[font=calibri]                        T.C. Hunts

JW

Postby JW » July 5th, 2009, 10:16 am

I'll go ahead and say, when I decided to start turkey hunting, I had a Mossberg 835. I patterned it and thought I was going to cry before it was over. So I would say the recoil has a great effect on you if your shooting a good bit. I don't shoot a lot. It's the heat that gets to me. I keep water, and trail mix, beef jerkey etc to keep me hydrated and energized. I need all the energy I can get up in the ridge and valley region.

Jason

Previous

Return to Shooting