Bad Shots Lead Causes of Missed Birds

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
mark hay

RE: Bad Shots Lead Causes of Missed Birds

Postby mark hay » June 21st, 2009, 3:46 am

I'm right there with you Bobby , when it comes to talking myself through an ordeal with a turkey . In the past I have just focused on the bird itself and have seen things fall completely apart ,,,,,,mainly me!
Hearing the turkey gobble and know beyond any doubt that it is on its way to my location doesn't have much effect on me . It's the part of the game when I actually SEE the bird . Then things begin to go south on me . Heart rate spikes , breathing increases , at which time the glasses start to fog ( generally only the lense in front of my aiming eye). The mind is racing and the whole body has begun to tremble on occasion , not being conditioned for such undue and sudden stress .
Don't ya just love it?

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » June 22nd, 2009, 6:14 am

I missed a good bird this year because of a squirrel (that was in a tree right behind me) who chose the exact time I was squeezing the trigger to bark (he saw me move the gun barrel when the gobbler went behind a tree and delayed a few seconds before he sounded the alarm). The turkey was also around 10 yards away (or less), so my pattern wasn't too big and I missed him clean. If the bird had been 10 yards farther, I would have tagged his butt. That was my first miss in over 10 years. 

Prior to that, I took too far a shot at a gobbler who was showing off for a hen.  I waited until he came out of strut, but the hen had dragged him too far out of range.  It was in an open stand of pines that looked closer than it actually was. The gobbler was pretty big too, which gave the illusion he was closer than he actually was. There was no blood & no feathers, and I saw the same pair cut across up the roadbed about an hour and a half later.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

cuttnrun1187

Postby cuttnrun1187 » June 22nd, 2009, 1:48 pm

ORIGINAL: Turkeybuster

cuttnrun1187 don't be too hard on yourself we all have done it at one time or another it is part of the game.

.... You can be sure that you will analize your next shot before you pull the trigger this is what makes us all better hunters it is part of the learning curve.

How right you are!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 23rd, 2009, 1:47 pm

[;)]
Turkeybuster

JW

Postby JW » July 5th, 2009, 10:28 am

Well, I have missed only one and I talked about it in a story on this forum. I had a bird way too close to even consider pulling the trigger on, but his little buddy busted me, and he was about to take off. I rushed a shot and missed. I should have let him go without flingin' lead at him, but I didn't. I still remember the sick feeling I had.

Jason

Previous

Return to Shooting