Bore cleaning foam?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
1Morgan

Bore cleaning foam?

Postby 1Morgan » July 11th, 2009, 4:24 am

Anyone try any of this? Is it worth using? Or is it just a half assed way for lazy people to kinda clean thier gun?
South Carolina Low Country

eddie234

RE: Bore cleaning foam?

Postby eddie234 » July 11th, 2009, 5:25 am

I use it, I found it in the clearance Isle at walmart. I clean my barrel as I regularly do and use the foam after I've deep cleaned my barrel. It says it has to soak for like 20 or 30 minutes, I figure it would get any thing I missed with my regular cleaning.

CB on the run

RE: Bore cleaning foam?

Postby CB on the run » July 13th, 2009, 8:55 am

You have to read the instructions with the foam. Mine states to leave at least one hour in gun. I use it but it's not the only step. I always continue the next day with other products.
For shotguns I 'set' the foam overnight then finish with bronze brush, hoppes or shooters Choice then a very light coat of Kyroil. If you put the gun in a safe, store it barrel down especially if it's going to 'rest' awhile before the next use. This allows any excess oil/solvent to run away from action and stock.
For rifles I use JB's boar paste(remove), a copper solvent like Sweets(remove), Hoppes or Shooters Choice(remove) then a very light coat of kyroil. Store upside.
My gunsmith swears by a product called Wipe Out which is a foam, they also sell an accelerator for this product.

CB

Return to Shooting