H&R single

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Dcoleinpa

H&R single

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 5th, 2009, 7:29 pm

ive got an H&R single shot 12 gauge fixed full. just wondering if any of you fellas shoot one and if so what shoots best out of it for you? im going to try all kinda of shells in it this summer. im not expecting miracles just looking for some tips. Thanks-Dylan

grizzly

RE: H&R single

Postby grizzly » July 5th, 2009, 9:14 pm

they are a good little gun i still own one i always used standard 3 inch shells from remington or winchester in number five or six shot in the spring and number four in the fall .you do need to find what shoots the best but you give me the impression that you feel your gun is poor a choice thats not true h and r are a well made gun and i've shot a few turkeys with one

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » July 6th, 2009, 2:53 am

Dylan I recently acquired a H&R single with a fixed full also.I have yet to due any pattern work with it, but I thought I'd start with Fed 3" #5 with the Flitecontrol wad.I have heard this shell shoots good out a more open non-ported choke.Hope this helps.
canecreekcalls.com

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 6th, 2009, 3:01 am

i wasnt trying to down the gun. i just dont want people thinking i expect it to shoot like a "souped up" turkey gun. thanks for the info have a good one grizzly

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 6th, 2009, 3:05 am

ill check out the flite controls for sure thanks thunder.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » July 6th, 2009, 3:34 am

I would try the Federal Flightcontrol also probably in the HW even though they're far more expensive. They should be available in a 5 pack. You might want to ask around in your circle of hunting friends for some 'donations'(referring to turkey shells) to get an idea of what the gun likes before spending a lot of $$. Clark Bush from ALLABOUTSHOOTING is a good source also. You can PM him on this forum or go to his web site.

CB
p.s. If you try the Fed HW FC go with the #7's, at 15g/cc they kill turkeys past 40 yards if the pattern is there. Good luck.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » July 6th, 2009, 5:15 am

I think an H & R with tubes might be the best gun going. Seeings that yours has a fixed choke I would too try some of the Fed Flitecontrol shells either in lead or HW. 

AWTHDA

Postby AWTHDA » July 6th, 2009, 6:09 am

Dylan - that's the same gun I shoot, except I have screw in chokes. I used to use 3.5" but it's usually such overkill. Once my 3.5" are gone I'll always use 3". I recommend try patterning 3" shells in #6 or #5. Jon

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » July 6th, 2009, 7:27 am

I turkey hunted exclusively with a single shot for over a decade and never missed a single turkey with it. Every bird I dropped the hammer on folded on the spot. Having just one shot causes you to make sure that your shot is a good one.  It is a Stevens single shot, and while not an H & R, it is not high-dollar or fancy at all.

I had a lot of success with Winchester 3 inch 1 & 3/4 oz. of #5's out of that Stevens.

The Federals with a flite control wad will help tighten a pattern up significantly.  A buddy shot some in his well-worn 1100 and it tightened up his groups substantially.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 6th, 2009, 9:56 am

ORIGINAL: AWTHDA

Dylan - that's the same gun I shoot, except I have screw in chokes. I used to use 3.5" but it's usually such overkill. Once my 3.5" are gone I'll always use 3". I recommend try patterning 3" shells in #6 or #5. Jon

man i can not see how you shoot 3 1/2 out of that thing haha 3 inch kicks enough i went and got one of those sims recoil pads. i am thinking about sending my barrel in to buy  one with interchangable chokes but im going try some diffrent shells first

Next

Return to Shooting