old 12 gauge

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
nhtrkybstr

old 12 gauge

Postby nhtrkybstr » July 15th, 2009, 1:19 pm

I have a question for the guys who have dealt with older firearms.

I have an older shotgun that was passed down to me when my dad passed away. I'm not sure of it's true age. It is a traveller, and is probably in the range of 1912. I really don't know.

To get to the point, I would really like to take a turkey with this shotgun. I think it is only chambered in 2 3/4, and I'm not sure it could handle a magnum load.

Should I have it inspected by my local gunsmith before I proceed?

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

allaboutshooting

RE: old 12 gauge

Postby allaboutshooting » July 15th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Hey Mike,

I'd recommend that you do just that. There are so many things that should be checked on an older gun before shooting it. A good gunsmith can do that pretty quickly and tell you about the gun, the approximate age and overall condition.

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

CB on the run

RE: old 12 gauge

Postby CB on the run » July 18th, 2009, 3:18 am

Yes, as Clark stated. I have a hand-me -down Savage auto 12ga with a 2 3/4" chamber. It belonged to my father and was purchased in 1939 brand new from Spiegel catalog. My son decided he wanted to take a fall bird with it several years ago and I had some 'magnum' 2 3/4" turkey shells. I do exactly know what happened but the gun malfunctioned when he shot. I had a hard time extracting the remaining rounds and of course it ended up at the gunsmith. I shoot only field loads out of it now.

CB

Return to Shooting