Just curious.......

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
JW

RE: Just curious.......

Postby JW » July 19th, 2009, 10:47 am

ORIGINAL: Bobbyparks

Mike, I can see the draw in that I just like how they look and they're intimidating.

Even Granny Clampette from the Beverly Hillbillies became a formidiable foe when she got her hands on such a piece.

There's a guy that hunted in Texas with me for 2-3 years that always brought  a 10 gauge double barrel shotgun that I swear felt like it weighed 14 pounds and was 6' long. I wondered why in the world he'd lug that thing around.

I remember one time he wanted me to shoot it and really I didn't want any part of it as it looked like it would kick the crap out of you.

After encouragement by him and others that chimed in I agreed to shoot this howlizter just to salvage my manhood within the group. (There were "hecklers" involved")

As heavy as this thing was it caused me to take a good half step backwards when I pulled the trigger.

I 'd love to have one just to look at, but the one he had at least was way to heavy for me to carry around. I like a 7-8 pound guns.

Bobby

Oh man I remember that. I guess I was one of the hecklers!

However, I do remember it being more than a half step backwards when you pulled the trigger.[:)]

Jason
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Browning Pro Staff

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 19th, 2009, 11:48 am

Yea, maybe it was. If I were 20 lbs lighter and I'd have done a summersaught.

If I was a turkey I'd drop dead of a heart attack just seeing that monstrosity pointed at me.

By the way, welcome back from Florida.

Bobby
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

JW

Postby JW » July 19th, 2009, 5:03 pm

ORIGINAL: Bobbyparks

Yea, maybe it was. If I were 20 lbs lighter and I'd have done a summersaught.

If I was a turkey I'd drop dead of a heart attack just seeing that monstrosity pointed at me.

By the way, welcome back from Florida.

Bobby

Thanks,
Glad to be back.
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Browning Pro Staff

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 20th, 2009, 5:48 am

Hey Mike,

My mentor for this sport was Glynn Shubert, one of the best turkey hunters I've known and a fellow who's spent countless hours helping folks, especially youth and women, learn about shooting and turkey hunting. Glynn really liked to shoot a SxS shotgun in every shooting sport. He used one for doves for years and had a much higher than average kill ratio.

After having a turkey fly across a creek, land about 7 yards from him and missing it because he had a very tight choke in his gun, he decided to start using a SxS with 2 different chokes. One choke would be tight and the other open to allow for "long" and "short" shots.

He found a good solid Fox SxS, had the barrels cut and threaded and used that gun successfully for many years. I liked it so much that I found one like his and had the work he'd had done, plus a little more to mine. I had mine backbored, lengthened the forcing cone, had the barrels polished mirror smooth, installed front and rear sling swivel studs and later installed a Shooter's Friend Recoil Pad. I've carried that gun off and on for 20+ years.

I like it because it's very light, balances well in the hand and most importantly, it kills turkeys. It also causes folks who see it to want to know more about it, hold it, shoot it, etc. The only drawback is that because of its very short barrels, it's very loud!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Previous

Return to Shooting