Just curious.......

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
nhtrkybstr

Just curious.......

Postby nhtrkybstr » July 15th, 2009, 12:55 pm

There seems to be an incredible amount of interest on this site with side by side double barrel shotguns for turkeys.

I was just wondering what the draw is. I agree, there is not a prettier gun out there than the one I saw on the thread I posted involving the perfect turkey slayer.

Again, just curious. I have never hunted with one, and it seems I am missing out on something special here.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

1Morgan

RE: Just curious.......

Postby 1Morgan » July 15th, 2009, 1:03 pm

I'm going to try one this spring in 20ga. Going to try a few diff guns actually. Use the ole 12 gauge for the 1st tag then use some other guns for the other 4 tags...just because I want to use some "family" guns.
South Carolina Low Country

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 15th, 2009, 1:28 pm

I can't say exactly what it is about a SxS . There are some of them that I wouldn't carry across the road , though they are very ornate and finely built . Don't get me wrong , I enjoy handling and inspecting the engraving , wood-to-metal fit , deep blue and color case hardening and more .
 Most of the time when I pick up a double I'll hold it in my right hand at the balance point of the gun .I may even walk back and forth in a gun shop with that gun in my hand and down by my side . I want to see how it carries . Next I will mount the gun to my shoulder and see where it is pointing in relation to where I'm looking . Checking to see if the stock and my cheek meet as the rib and bead all blend into a sight picture .
There are several doubles that I would like to own , both cartridge and muzzleloaders . But in being practical , I only NEED one . Many hunters and shooters would probably not even consider owning a double like mine for the simple fact that it was built in Russia . I too had that mindset until I actually picked it up . Before I left that shop I made up my mind that my 870 was for sale .
I'll list a few things that I noticed about doubles.
 graceful lines
 some are heavy
 some are light
 they don't rattle
 they load deadly quiet
 capable of being the best of both worlds when it comes to close in shots and 40 yard shots .   FULL CHOKE & MODIFIED
 some have screw-in chokes
 some have single trigger with a selector button for left or right barrel
 some have two triggers,,,want to change to the other barrel ? just move your finger .(don't put two fingers in the triggerguard)
some are plain wood and steel
some are decked out with inlay and artwork
some are affordable
many are not

I admit that I am very fond of mine and never tire from carrying it over ridges and hollers , and I have no sling on it .

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 15th, 2009, 2:50 pm

ive just wanted one since i started hunting. i like the looks of them. i held one of the russians this morning it felt great.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » July 16th, 2009, 12:45 pm

For me I grew up with old double barrel shotguns, my first turkey hunt I toted a Stevens 311 in .410 and have always loved old side by sides. Although I haven't turkey hunted with one in many many years now as I get older I find myself gravitating back to the days of my youth. Maybe I have come full circle in my hunting who knows.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » July 16th, 2009, 3:01 pm

I shot my first gobbler with an old Ithaca side by side.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » July 17th, 2009, 8:04 am

Sold all I ever owed except for a Lefever Nitro Special .410 which I killed my 1st rabbit and grouse with.  It's a hand me down and will never leave the family.  It's still in very good condition and right around 85 years old.  It's a closet/safe queen and hasn't been shot in about 8-10 years but I hold her every so often.
  I perfer o/u's with a screw in choke system for most upland game with exception of spring turkey which I've always carried a pump until recently when I went to a 20ga auto.

CB

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » July 17th, 2009, 9:43 am

for me...the SxS in the turkey woods is all about tradition....i don't use mine in the spring...but come fall....the SxS iz where itz @

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 17th, 2009, 12:14 pm

Mike, I can see the draw in that I just like how they look and they're intimidating.

Even Granny Clampette from the Beverly Hillbillies became a formidiable foe when she got her hands on such a piece.

There's a guy that hunted in Texas with me for 2-3 years that always brought  a 10 gauge double barrel shotgun that I swear felt like it weighed 14 pounds and was 6' long. I wondered why in the world he'd lug that thing around.

I remember one time he wanted me to shoot it and really I didn't want any part of it as it looked like it would kick the crap out of you.

After encouragement by him and others that chimed in I agreed to shoot this howlizter just to salvage my manhood within the group. (There were "hecklers" involved")

As heavy as this thing was it caused me to take a good half step backwards when I pulled the trigger.

I 'd love to have one just to look at, but the one he had at least was way to heavy for me to carry around. I like a 7-8 pound guns.

Bobby
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 17th, 2009, 12:32 pm

They have a new American Arms SxS turkey gun up the road at a sporting goods store . It is ALL black , parkerized finish on the steel and the wooden stocks stained black . It comes with sling RINGS instead of the detachable type . Screw in choke tubes and double triggers .
 I've not handled the thing ,,,it looks heavy with its wide forend .
 I can't recall if it is 3.5 inch chambered ,,,3 inch for sure though.
$500 +

Next

Return to Shooting