Choke and loads for 1187-supermag

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
pcgobbler

Choke and loads for 1187-supermag

Postby pcgobbler » July 23rd, 2009, 12:17 pm

Hey guys,

I'm kinda new to the forum and this is my first post.  I just go a new toy,  1187-supermag shurshot.  I was trying to decide which way to go on a choke.  I hear a lot about the rhino chokes, anyone tried in a remington?  As for loads, I've shot the winchester hi-vel, hi-density 6's for years with great success.  Has any one tried these loads in a rhino tube?  I'm not a huge fan of a choke that'll shoot baseball sized patterns at 30 yards.  I can only hold the gun so steady.
Travis

Dcoleinpa

RE: Choke and loads for 1187-supermag

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 23rd, 2009, 12:37 pm

a lot of guys shoot pure gold chokes out of remingtons with great results. i just bought a remington 887 and orderd the pure gold im sure clark will chime in he is a wealth of information

pcgobbler

Postby pcgobbler » July 23rd, 2009, 1:41 pm

Dylan,

Thanks for the info.  I' ve also heard a little about the pure gold tubes.
Travis

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 23rd, 2009, 3:46 pm

Hey Travis,

First of all, welcome to the T&TH site. This is a great place with lots of good folks who are very helpful. congratulations on your new Remington 11-87. It's a great gun. I've been shooting them for many years and currently shoot 2 with the ShurShot stocks. I know you'll really enjoy that gun.

I'd encourage you to "deep clean" the barrel. It's best to do that prior to shooting but you can do it at any time. It will really help your patterning. The article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282 has some guidelines that you may find helpful.

In my experience,  the 3" Winchester Xtended Range H-Density shell with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot, the 3" Winchester HV shell with 1.75 oz. of #6 lead shot and the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shell with 2 oz. of #6 shot are all excellent shotshells with the 11-87.

There are several good turkey chokes that will work well with your 11-87, again in my experience. I've had great results for the last several years with the 3 shotshells that I've mentioned and the SSX Turkey Choke http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=74
That choke is rated for all lead and tungsten-based shot, has excellent "internals" and is very reasonably priced for a premium quality turkey choke.

No matter which choke or shell you choose, I wish you the best with your new gun. If I can be of any help, just let me know and I'll do all that I can to be of assistance.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting