Looks good...shoots good.

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Looks good...shoots good.

Postby allaboutshooting » August 4th, 2009, 8:18 am

I recently shot some 20 gauge Hevi-13 shotshells that looked terrible with bad crimps, leaking buffer and even some that had lost both buffer and shot. I was amazed to see that even though they "looked bad, they shot good." I would never have expected to see the patterns that those shells shot.

Yesterday, I started a new project, testing 3 different 12 gauge chokes but using the same gun and shotshells.

I shot 3 times, with a BPS/SSX combo and current production 3" WXRHD Elite shotshells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot. I did not clean between anything between shots. These shells "looked good and shot good."

Here's the 3rd pattern that I shot. 36 hits in the best 3" that I saw, 171 in the best 10" and 312 hits in the 18"x18" area of the target.

The first target had 127 hits in 10" and the second had 162 hits in 10". All 3 had good even patterns in the 18"x18" areas. I don't think a turkey could have escaped any of those shots.

I'll be shooting 2 more chokes with this combination in the next few days as time and the weather allows.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Turkeybuster

RE: Looks good...shoots good.

Postby Turkeybuster » August 4th, 2009, 3:09 pm

CLARK
They are some good patterns I have a BPS and I had to put tru glow sights front and rear to shoot the same load only difference I was useing a Undertaker non ported 665 tube. I don't know if it is the gun or what but they shoot very tight patterns. The good thing is that it shoots everything tight I tried 4 different brands of ammo in lead and they were good but the winchester tightened it down maybe 2".
Jon
Turkeybuster

eggshell

Postby eggshell » August 4th, 2009, 3:40 pm

an old trick I started years ago when the crimper in my old mec 650 started going south is to take a candle an drip a thin shield of wax over the crimp will stop the buffering from leaking. Be stingy with it you not applying a royal seal! Just enough to close things up.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 5th, 2009, 6:31 am

Hey Jon,

I had not shot this BPS in years. I was very pleasantly surprised at the patterns. I had really cleaned the choke and barrel prior to shooting it but saw that this particular choke/barrel like to be just a bit dirty. That's the reason I always start out squeaky clean and then don't clean between shots. Some combos like it very clean and some a little dirty. This one might even get better with a few more shots but I ran out of time.

I intend to try that gun with a couple more chokes with WXRHD shells and compare the results. I'll post those results as well.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 5th, 2009, 6:38 am

Hey Dana,

Good tip. I've used clear and red nail polish in the past for the same purpose. Some of those 20 gauge shells that I shot looked beyond the point of redemption.

Some still had some sealant on them, some had lost sealant and buffer and some had even lost sealant, buffer and shot. You can see the hole in the center of the crimp on a couple.

These were actually some of the "better" shells in those boxes. I'd already shot some of the worst of them when I took this picture.

Thanks,
Clark

Return to Shooting