Has it effected your shooting?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Has it effected your shooting?

Postby allaboutshooting » August 1st, 2009, 6:07 am

Doris and I were "on the road" yesterday visiting various retail sporting goods stores in Illinois and Kentucky.

I look at the prices of everything for hunting and shooting. I continue to be shocked and amazed at the prices of all types of ammo but in particular, I've noted that ordinary lead shotshells have really risen dramatically in price. I'm not talking about HTL turkey shells, we kind of expect them to be expensive but I'm talking about lead turkey loads and lead shells that you might use for doves, squirrels or the clay sports.

A box of lead turkey loads that might have been $9.00 - $10.00 are now $19.00 and shells that were $4.99 just a while ago are not $9.99 or even higher.

How has that effected your shooting?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

nhtrkybstr

RE: Has it effected your shooting?

Postby nhtrkybstr » August 1st, 2009, 6:35 am

Clark,

A very good thread!

I have to confess, I take my guns to the range, and if they're right on the money, I stop shooting. I look for an accurate three shot group. With the cost of ammo going through the roof, I only shoot enough to sight in.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » August 1st, 2009, 8:42 am

It has not had an effect on the amount of shooting I do.  I have never done much shotgun shooting or much with cartidge guns.  I shot NRA pistol for yeares but have backed off that too.  I have noticed the cost of percussion caps has gone through the roof.  $50 / 1000 for CCI.  I thought $17 / 1000 for RWS was too high so I switched to CCI @ $8 /1000 back in the 90's.  I have enough supplies to last me for some time for ML shooting.  I do need a bag of shot though.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 1st, 2009, 2:31 pm

It has EFFECTED ME GREATLY!
Though I have been buying up 2 3/4 inch turkey loads for several years , and have enough for at least a couple decades . But this time of year is when I normally do a lot of coyote and grounghog hunting . My local sporting goods store has not been able to get the powder that I prefer for my dog rifle . I keep at least 60 rounds loaded at all times . But the unsurety of getting the powder , coupled with the unsurety of employment has really kept me close to home.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » August 1st, 2009, 5:40 pm

CLARK
That is called greed on the part of the ammo manufactures there is no excuse for it but when the manufacturers found we were dumb enough to pay 5.00 for a single shell to kill a turkey or goose they lowered the boom on us. As I read a lot of treads on this forum I find there is a tendancy among a lot of our members to go back to lead shot, smaller gauge guns or 2 3/4" guns. Recreational shooting is no longer affordable to the average person anymore and if this trend continues the manufactures are eventually going to feel the crunch. With the economy getting worse every day and jobs insecure something is going to happen and it isn't going to be for the good. Recently we have seen a sharp increase in firearms sales due to the people being scared of our government and the riseing crime rate.
Firearms sales are starting to level off somewhat but ammo sales are still booming as people are stocking up just in case. Pistol ammo is very hard to find and in our area it is a buy it when you can find it situation. The larger chain stores will get a couple of skids in and it never hits the shelves they sell it right off the skids and in a few days it is gone. So with a senario such as that the demand is so great that the prices skyrocket. Create a shortage and the prices will rise. A few years back when I was on the sporting clays circuit I would shoot 25 to 30 thousand rounds a year at todays prices you could save that money and buy another house. As previously stated instead of shooting a box of shells you will shoot three or four shells and save the rest to hunt with and as Mark stated the reloader has a hard time finding components to load with. When they started selling 10 shotgun shells and classified that as a box the writing was on the wall so I did as Mark stated bought up all the hunting shells I could find at a reasonable price and probably have two decades worth also. The recreational shooting around here has come to a halt.

Turkeybuster

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » August 1st, 2009, 7:27 pm

If your paying 19 for lead turkey loads your paying 10 to much. Cheaper target loads be had for 5 or 6 bucks a box around here thats only a buck or 2 more than they used to be. I don't think its effected me at all. I ain't going to change my shooting habits to save a few dollars which is a more realistic number at least around here. 
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 2nd, 2009, 11:12 am

As I stated earlier , concerning the 2 3/4 inch turkey loads , I have been buying them throughout the year , before this year . I started doing that right after I bought my short chambered double . Most people in this area shoot 3 or 3.5's and the stores know this . Some stores don't carry the short shells . So whenever I would find 'em ,,,I bought 'em .

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 2nd, 2009, 11:53 am

It seems to be a pretty common theme that folks are stocking up on ammo in anticipation of either a greater shortage or an excise tax increase that will drive prices even higher.

The Grand American Trap Shooting Championship begins on the 5th at the World Shooting Complex (WSC) in Sparta, Illinois. That shoot normally draws 100,000 folks from all over the world. It will be interesting to see how attendance is and how many shells are shot this year.

There were 1500+ Scholastic Shooters at their National Championship at the WSC last week. Tht does not include the moms, dads, grandparents, coaches and other spectators. It's a very fast growing segment of the shooting sports and bodes well for the future of our sport.

Anyone else here going to the Grand?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » August 2nd, 2009, 9:14 pm

Just paid 5.25 per box for some winchester target loads today. Thats not out of the norm.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 2nd, 2009, 10:29 pm

yes .it has i do'nt near as much as i used to . for the most part i shoot my 22 to keep my shooting forum up . being i quit hunting ducks because of the high cost of shells and i thought the outrightious cost of a waterfowl stamp i do'nt shoot skeet and trap any more. shooting a turkey with these new gun with the tight chokes is more like useing a rifle any way i went form shooting remington nitro turkey that were 10 shells for 9 dollars to shooting remington nitro pheasant that were 25 shells for 12.50 a box far as i can tell they're the same shell so i look for sales on 22 shells and buy as many as i can and go over to the gravel bed for a good shooting session evey two weeks or so and have fun [:)] wayne

Next

Return to Shooting