Blackpowder?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Steve_In

RE: Blackpowder?

Postby Steve_In » July 10th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Mark I think I am getting a nibble!!!.  Dan there are several good quality ML shotguns out there.  It all depends on which road you want to travel.  My shotguns are originals.  Most of my rifles I built from parts.  When dealing with originals you have to remember there is over 150 years of use on most of them.  You can get a good solid shotgun for less than $500.  Depending on what it needs you may spend a lot more to put it in turkey hunting shape.  My 10 bore sold for $250 with several issues.  It had belled muzzles, the ribs were coming apart and the locks needed TLC.  Stock was/is solid.  I put another $400 in it and could turn a profit today.
  There are several good repros out there.  TC made one called the New Englandler in 12 gauge.  It is a good solid gun and I have seen them go for about $125 used.  Some have screw in chokes, the rest are cylinder.  Pedersoli made several SxS and single shots.  New the SxS is selling for around $750 at Cabelas.  The used market varies by region, but there are some bargins out there.  My brother just bought a Pedersoli SxS out of a free trader paper for $300.  I have been hunting, shooting and doing some building for over 40 years.  It takes patience.  I will try to answer all questions. 
Below are a couple of links 
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat601141_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat601141&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat601141&id=0006386

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(bqoiacjuclkixqzwlzesevn2))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=12&subId=81&styleId=280&partNum=AAH-158

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(bqoiacjuclkixqzwlzesevn2))/categories/partList.aspx?catID=12&subID=83&styleID=292

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(bqoiacjuclkixqzwlzesevn2))/Index.aspx

Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » July 11th, 2009, 12:54 am

Great info Steve. I was thinking of getting a modern replica so I could learn how to use it then maybe refurb a vintage piece. Would you recommend one like I posted above? Or does that just look cool for the price?
South Carolina Low Country

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » July 11th, 2009, 5:39 am

Dan that would be a good choice for an entry level gun.  Down side from my point of view is the short barrel, compromise twist and for looks lack of a full rib.  The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is a better choice and it can be bought in fast or slow twist.  I prefer the slow twist to shoot patched round balls.  The only problem I have heard of with the Lyman is some people have trouble with the drop in the stock not fitting them.  In traditional style rifles and shotguns I reccomend real black powder.  This can be hard to get in some areas but IMHO it is worth it.  I highly reccomend seeking a local club too learn of local sources of guns, powder and supplies.  All can be bought on the web but I really like to handle and sight down the barrel to try fit.  The used market is good right now.  There are several things you need to know before buying used and if you are interested I will send you a check list.
In muzzle loading shotguns the method of chokeing is a consideration.  I mention Jug chokes on my 10 bore.  The barrel is a true cylinder until about 4 inches from the muzzle.  It has been overbored at this point then transitions to a regular choke exiting the muzzle at bore diameter.  This allows easy loading.  Screw in chokes are smaller than bore size and can be tough to load in full or turkey chokes.
LINK to National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
http://www.nmlra.org/

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » July 12th, 2009, 5:55 am

I don't know enough about them to be comfortable buying used but the checklist would be great in case I "happen" to wander into the local pawn shop. Thanks again for the great info. 

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » July 12th, 2009, 6:11 am

What will a 50cal ball to to a turkey? Fried turkey chunks for dinner?

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » July 12th, 2009, 9:39 am

On a head shot no wasted meat.  I don't know on a body shot, but with a light load it would be minimal.  IMHO head shot only should be taken.  While I have several rifles that are capable of that I would not try it.  For me taking a turkey with a ML rifle is way down the to do list.  While rifles are traditional guns uded for taking turkeys so was roost shooting, baiting, no bag limits etc.  Most have been outlawed and in many states they even specify shotgun gauge and max shot size.  I reccomend a ML shotgun for turkeys.  This gun can be used for doves, ducks, geese and small game too.  I would use the rifles for deer.
I will get a list together and send it to you.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » July 12th, 2009, 9:51 am

Dan, in SC you cannot use rifles.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » July 12th, 2009, 1:09 pm

It still counts as a rifle not "primitive"?

And, very good point on the other "traditional" hunting methods....

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » July 12th, 2009, 4:32 pm

A friend of mine blew one and one half of his fingers off last year with one if that helps.
Turkeybuster

edanjud

Postby edanjud » August 8th, 2009, 6:48 pm

i have a knight tk 2000 and it is a great muzzleloader shotgun.

Previous

Return to Shooting