Blackpowder?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
1Morgan

Blackpowder?

Postby 1Morgan » July 9th, 2009, 12:05 am

Anyone have any experience with turkey hunting with blackpowder?
South Carolina Low Country

mark hay

RE: Blackpowder?

Postby mark hay » July 9th, 2009, 11:30 am

I intend to some day . SteveIn is a shooter of old front stuffers . I expect
he'll be along shortly to comment . It does have an appeal to it , in my opinion .

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » July 9th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Yea I always liked to play the cowboy (gun) not the indian (bow) when I was growing up.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 9th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Well I have been in both camps . I have been shooting m.l. rifles and revolvers for a long time and the recurve as well .
 I suffered through the misery of failed shots with muzzleloaders for years . I'd pick brains and ask questions to try something to get past this . Often asking myself ''how did the pioneers get by ?''  They new their guns . They relied on their guns , for food and self preservation . They HAD to know how to CLEAN and LOAD their piece or it very well could cost them their life . Getting the recipe right through Serious Shooting , and being Consistent with the recipe from then on.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » July 9th, 2009, 12:53 pm

I think, with me starting hunting so late in life, that I would actually take the time and learn to do it properly. I'm not just gonna do it because the "other guy" is. It definitely has an appeal to me with todays advancements in weapon technology. That, and I really want the hunt more than the kill. Seems like it would be a fun challenge and a quicker kill than a bow.

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » July 9th, 2009, 1:04 pm

I never have. I've seen it on t.v. but never tried it myself. I find it hard enough to kill those longbeards with my modern shotgun!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » July 9th, 2009, 1:15 pm

Just kickin it around...trying to get some ideas.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » July 9th, 2009, 1:24 pm

[font=arial]This sure is pretty too!!
[font=arial] 
[font=arial] 
[font=arial]Deerhunter .50 Cal Hardwood/Blued

Whether you want a wood, synthetic, or camo stock, blued or nickel barrel, flintlock or percussion, left hand or right hand,there is a model for you! We have designed this muzzleloader to be lightweight, easy to shoot, and incrediably accurate for a very modest price. Whether you are a seasoned veteran or brand new to the sport, the Deerhunter™ muzzleloader will fit your needs. 24" octogonal performance barrels have a 1 in 48" rate of twist and are secured in a rugged synthetic or wood stock for excellent balance and superb handling. The Deerhunter™ barrels are designed to shoot full bore-sized bullets, saboted bullets, and patched round bullets accurately. The Lite Optic™ sights are fully adjustable and give you pinpoint accuracy in regular and low light conditions. The Deerhunter™ is also avaliable in a Redi-Pak™ that outfits you with the rifle and all the accessories to get you started. Percussion models are drilled and tapped to accept scope mounts. Pictured above is a right hand, percussion model.

[font=arial]Product Code: R36108101
[font=arial]Status: Back Ordered
[font=arial]
Our Price: $264.00

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 9th, 2009, 3:04 pm

thats very cool

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 10th, 2009, 1:12 pm

I have never had the priviledge to shoot a muzzleloading shotgun . I really would like to own an old SxS for turkey hunting , as well as to keep my rifle and revolver company in the safe .

Next

Return to Shooting