Remington 4x6 duplex loads.

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
NYSuperSportsman

Remington 4x6 duplex loads.

Postby NYSuperSportsman » February 19th, 2009, 12:09 pm

I found these at Gander Mtn. today. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with them. I am looking forward to shooting them. I think it is a neat combination with the pellet count of 6's and the knockdown power of 4s. I have had success with both 4s and 6s. It should be great with both.  They are 3" and 1/78oz . Does anyone else use them?

tinker

RE: Remington 4x6 duplex loads.

Postby tinker » February 19th, 2009, 4:23 pm

I did use them, have sold a gajillion of them. They work, no doubt but as in everything with a shotgun, different guns shoot different loads...well, differently.  Give a box a whirl. I used them in my old Remington and they had holes in the pattern. Same box of shells shot wonderfully out of my 1300.
They also make great coyote medicine too!

Tink

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 19th, 2009, 5:12 pm

This is one of the best loads I have shot in the 3" magnum I used them for years until I went to the 31/2" gun.
They pattern well in most guns and have excellent knockdown power, If they made them in the 3.5 I
would still be shooting them.
As far as I'am concerned they are over looked for some reason and were ahead of their time in manufacture.
When they first hit the market they were not perfected and performance was poor but Remington corrected them and they were awesome. Then they took them off the market for a short period of time and I panicked but was lucky enough to find a case at a distributor and bought them however I still keep a case on hand and is my go to shell for the 3" mag. I would like to hear your opinion after you try them I think you will be happy with them.

Turkeybuster

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 19th, 2009, 5:43 pm

I've heard good things about this shell. If they made it in a 3.5 with 2 1/4 ounce or more of shot I'd try em but I can't see a shell with only 1 7/8 doing better than what I'm shooting now.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 19th, 2009, 5:51 pm

It probably wouldn't do any better but I think if they made it in a 2oz. load you would be satisfied plus it would be faster and carry more knockdown power.
TB

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 20th, 2009, 5:26 am

ORIGINAL: tinker

I did use them, have sold a gajillion of them. They work, no doubt but as in everything with a shotgun, different guns shoot different loads...well, differently.  Give a box a whirl. I used them in my old Remington and they had holes in the pattern. Same box of shells shot wonderfully out of my 1300.
They also make great coyote medicine too!

Tink

I use to use them and they did shoot well out of my winchester 1300.  I haven't used them in years since the 5s came out.  I agree you must see how your gun and choke tube combo handle the load.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 7th, 2009, 2:00 pm

My buddy use 4x6 yrs ago out of his 2 3/4 gun.still does today and does very well.

wild turk

Postby wild turk » August 13th, 2009, 1:34 pm

I have tried everything and Remington 4x6 is by far the best, at least out of my gun.  I use a Remington 870 with 28 inch bbl and a Briley .665 choke.  I used to shoot hevi-shot which worked well, but the new hevi-shot loads (since environ-metal ended their partnership with Remington) pattern horribly in my gun.  I actually missed 3 gobblers in one day...opening day actually with hevi-shot. I think prior to this I was about 25 for 28 or so on shooting at longbeards so this reallly hurt.   I was completely baffled and patterned my gun.  a foot high and a foot right at 30 yards. I wrongly assumed that since the gun liked the old version of hevi-shot it would like the new.  I switched back to some old 4x6s in my vest and the pattern was excellent. Now thats all I shoot.

It really depends on the gun I think.  I know some guys who cant get a decent pattern with the 4x6 loads but in my gun it shoots lights out.  I took (2) birds at 55 with duplex loads last year.  I thought I was shooting about 45 yards, but after the fact I used a range finder and found that I dropped two big longbeards dead at 55. Cant ask for more than that. I also took another at about 20 with duplex loads last year and again, it was effective. 

I always keep a few boxes in case Remington decides to discontinue this load.  Everyone should at least try this load so see if it is the 'magic' load in their particular scattergun.

-wild turk

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » August 13th, 2009, 2:55 pm

It always worked for me and I used  665 choke in a 1300 ,1100 and a BPS also in my Super X 2 and Browning Gold they are 3.5 inch guns.
Turkeybuster

Return to Shooting