The "Grand" 2009

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

The "Grand" 2009

Postby allaboutshooting » August 9th, 2009, 4:10 am

The Grand American Trapshooting Championship began with the prelims on August 5th and will run through August 15th. Shooters from all over the world will vie for the championship. Approximately 100,000 folks will attend this event over the next several days and in excess of 500,000 shotshells will be shot.

The Grand follows the Scholastic National Championship which took place just a few days ago. That event attracted 1500 young shooters plus coaches, parents, grandparents, news media representatives and other spectators. A like number of young shooters will also shoot during the Grand at a separate youth shooting event sponsored by the ATA.

The World Shooting Complex in Sparta, IL hosts this event. It has 3.5 miles of trap fields and venues for skeet, sporting clays, Cowboy Action Shooting and many other shooting sports. The Grand attracts vendors from all over the world, showing and selling their wares.

I'd encourage you to consider visiting this facility. There are so many "side" events that take place during the Grand that there truly is something for everyone. If you've never seen the Patrick Flanigan
show, that alone is worth the trip.

If you're down this way, let me know and I love to meet you and buy you a cool beverage at the Grand.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

RE: The "Grand" 2009

Postby allaboutshooting » August 12th, 2009, 6:18 pm

I spent the day in Sparta, Illinois at the World Shooting Complex. The "Grand" started on the 5th with the prelims and then Grand Week started on Monday. The best trap shooters in the world gather here, at the end of the trap season, to determine who's the best and crown a champion. The event wraps up on the 15th.

I spent the day meeting with representatives from the various shotshell and shotgun manufactures, visiting with old friends, taking in the atmosphere, watching and talking with some great shooters.

The Grand is where all the guns are! All the new offerings from Remington, Winchester, Browning and every exotic (at least to me) shotgun manufacture is there. There are guns available from $300.00 to $100,000.00. Most, except the very high end, are available for shooting. It's like being a kid in a candy store.

There are also all kinds of vendors selling all things shotgun. If you want it, you can probably find it, in several varieties at the Grand.

There are shows every day and every evening featuring exhibition shooters. You can see folks do things with shotguns that are almost unbelievable.

The 3.5 mile trap line is perhaps the longest in the U.S. You literally can not see from one end of it to the other.

If  you ever have an opportunity to visit, I'd encourage you to do it. It's just a great way to spend some time and see some amazing guns and shooters.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 16th, 2009, 4:38 am

It's over. The 2009 Grand American is now in the history books. There is really a lot of good news.

First, the number of kids who shot before and during Grand week. There were 1500 who participated in the scholastic clays program before and about an equal number who shot trap during the Grand. They are 2 separate events that just happen to occur near the same time. Kids from 26 states participated.

Second, attendance at the 2009 Grand was equal to that of last year, which was up 10% over the year before. That compares with declines of 18% to 20% in other shooting events in 2009. That may mean a number of things and I wouldn't want to speculate on it but it's just good to see that many shooters anywhere.

Lastly, Bob Munson of Howard Lake, MN won the 2009 Grand American Handicap Championship with a perfect score of 100 of 100. That's from the 27 yard line! He was the only 27 yard handicap shooter, out of 1,959 other shooters, with a perfect score. That's really something to see.

Approximately 500,000 clays were shot over the 10 days of the shoot with about 100,000 folks in attendance over the period. The weather was great, the shooting was great and it ended with a bang.

Thanks,
Clark

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 16th, 2009, 5:15 am

I'm glad to hear a good report Clark . Though it is not my game , I can appreciate the participation and knowing that that many folks from that many states shows success in itself .
 Thanks for the report .

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 16th, 2009, 9:06 am

Hey Mark,

Thanks. I much prefer another of the clay sports to trap but I still appreciate dedication and good shooting.

It's also reassuring to see that many folks in one place enjoying guns and hearing them go bang. Apparently, the Grand is the largest such shoot in not only the U.S. but the world. (I received a correction from a reader.) I believe that I was told that last year by a rep from one of the high-end shotgun companies that attends all the big shoots. There were folks there from all over the world this year as well.

It sure is the place and time to buy 2.75" shotshells. You can buy top of the line shells for the price or less than the price of inexpensive "game loads".

Thanks again,
Clark

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » August 16th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Thanks for keeping us informed Clark I have been following the post all along and you did a great job.
That must be something to see it is hard to visulaize 3.5 miles of traps without being there. I think I would have loaded up on the AA's for sure and probably some other stuff as usual there are always items there that are not readily attainable locally. Glad you had a good trip.
Jon
Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 16th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Hey Jon,

Thank you for the kind words. It is a remarkable place. There is a Winchester coupon that gives you $2.00 off per box on AA's up to $100.00 I believe. They had the shells marked down during the grand so you could get them at about $4.00 per box net, if you took advantage of every discount available.

Thanks again,
Clark

Return to Shooting