mossberg youth 20 ga

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
turkeytraks

mossberg youth 20 ga

Postby turkeytraks » May 24th, 2009, 6:58 am

hi everyone, a newbie to the forum here.  i had a question for anyone who has the mosseberg 500 super bantam youth 20 ga.  i just got one a few weeks ago.  i put a primos tightwad on it and it doesn't hold a 40 yard pattern worth anything even with straight heavi 7's from nitro.  what chokes would you recommend before i drop a hundred on a rhino choke.  from what i have seen there isn't a whole lot of chokes made for this gun.  thanks in advance.

icdedturkes

RE: mossberg youth 20 ga

Postby icdedturkes » May 24th, 2009, 7:22 am

You cannot go wrong with a Pure Gold http://www.gameacc.net. I have a 555 in my Rem 870 with the Nitros and it is super tight. Gonna switch to the 570 which will provide more for error. Pure Gold always produces nice even patterns. Plus, there is a money back guarantee. 

turkeytraks

Postby turkeytraks » May 24th, 2009, 12:19 pm

thanks for the reply, i have looked at them but wasn't sure about them.  i am looking for like a 560 maybe.  my tightwad is a 570 and the pattern really dispenses at 40 yards.  it will still kill a turkey at 40 yards no problem, but i would like to have a little higher pellet count for a 45-50 yard range.  so with the money back guarentee, they will refund it even if i shoot it?  thanks again.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 24th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Welcome to the T&TH forum. We're glad you're here and look forward to hearing more from you.

There are many choices for turkey chokes for your Mossberg Super Bantam and Pure Gold is one of them.

Howevr, before you invest in any additional after market choke, I'd recommend that you "deep clean" your barrel. There's an article at http://www.allaboutshooting.comcalled "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" that I'd recommend to you. It's certainly not rocket science but it has improved the patterning of hundreds of guns over the years. I'd suggest that you try the procedure recommended and then try patterning your gun again. You may find that's all you need to do.

The new 20 gauge 3" Federal shells with the Flitecontrol Wad and #7 Heavyweight shot are proving to be an excellent choice for your gun as well. They're available now and you may want to give some of them a try.

You have a good gun that properly choked and with the right shotshell can cleanly kill turkeys at 40 yards.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

turkeytraks

Postby turkeytraks » May 24th, 2009, 4:06 pm

thanks clark, i'm gonna check that out about cleaning a shotgun.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » May 25th, 2009, 12:15 am

i have  been using a mossberg batam 20 for 3 years now and i love it . what works for me is the factory full choke with remington nitro turkey in 6 or 5 shot it has never let me down yet.

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » May 25th, 2009, 3:27 pm

I have heard great things about the Indian Creek .555 choke with Hevi 13 1 1/4 oz. loads. Plus I also heard good things about the Pure Gold Chokes too. Some guys are also using the .570 and .575 chookes too. Good Luck.
Mike

turkeytraks

Postby turkeytraks » May 25th, 2009, 4:21 pm

i know not all choke tubes are considered equal by any means from gun to gun and load to load, but could i expect any difference per say from the 570 tightwad and the 570 pure gold with them having the same constriction? 

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » May 25th, 2009, 5:33 pm

ORIGINAL: turkeytraks

i know not all choke tubes are considered equal by any means from gun to gun and load to load, but could i expect any difference per say from the 570 tightwad and the 570 pure gold with them having the same constriction? 
Yes constriction is only one factor in the ability of a choke to throw good patterns with a particular load. Not all 570 or 555 or 560 chokes are created equal. In most cases you get what you pay for.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 25th, 2009, 5:53 pm

You've asked a very important and insightful question about turkey chokes. Many times we refer to chokes by the exit diameter, for example, .555 or .570, when in reality the exit diameter is only one part of the internal geometry of a choke tube.

Each designer of a choke tube has his own idea of what works best and those ideas can differ substantially from maker to maker. A choke can also work very well with a particular shell and not so well with another shell, due to the differences in the designs of the shotshells. The easiest example to cite of that is the Flitecontrol Wad shells from Federal.

Those shells do not like chokes with ports because the ports will "eat" the petals and can cause the wad to fly irregularly and/or inconsistently. So, 2 chokes with the same exit diameter, one with ports and one without, may perform differently with the Flitecontrol Wad shells.

There are many other possible differences in the internal geometry of chokes. One may have a longer parallel section than another, for example.

Two chokes with like exit diameters may have different "internals" and may be ported or non-ported and may perform quite differently with the same shells.

Price does not necessarily dictate performance in turkey chokes. Many lesser priced turkey chokes will outperform more costly turkey chokes, with the proper shotshell. It's really all about the "combination of ingredients", the shotshell, the barrel (length, condition, etc.) and of course the choke tube.

You can read some information about my tests last year with various chokes and shotshells at http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=281

The good news is that there are several good loads and turkey chokes for your gun. It's just a matter of putting it all together.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Next

Return to Shooting