Rem Nitro Turkey shells

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
bigmark

Rem Nitro Turkey shells

Postby bigmark » August 17th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Just pick up a new mossberg 935 to start turkey hunting and have a questieons.Would Rem 3" Nitro turkey shells work  in this gun the choke is Ulti-Full 695.I have 4 boxs from a friend so I would like to use them if I could.This is a new gun so I was thinking I should put as many rounds as I can before turkey hunting starts.The Rem Nitro are a good price and I can buy alot of shells.

wisturkeyhunter

RE: Rem Nitro Turkey shells

Postby wisturkeyhunter » August 17th, 2009, 5:37 pm

Shoot em at 40 yards on big paper. Then draw a 10 inch circle around the dense part of the pattern. If you get 100 hits in the 10 inch you'll have a good killer pattern. If the pattern isn't that good I'd keep searching.  Don't be afraid to try 3.5 inch shells either they will give you more hits on the target. Fiocchi also makes some pretty reasonably priced loads that I've done well with. Good luck
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

NMblackgold

Postby NMblackgold » August 19th, 2009, 9:55 am

Bigmark, if your not going to shoot beyond 40 yards, you should be very happy with the 3" Nitro Turkey.  If your like me, I can't tell the difference between 38 yards and 42 yards sitting down with my headnet on.  So, beyond 40 yards, i believe you can find other 3" loads that perform better.  Do what wisturkeyhntr says and let us know how it goes.  I like your idea of putting as many rounds through it before turkey season, don't hear that a lot.    

deacon

Postby deacon » August 19th, 2009, 11:18 pm

I shoot a 935 and I will say that the 3.5" version of that shell is nowhere near as good as Hevi-13 or Federal HW 7's. I'm talking 100 hits less. I'm shooting a Mad Super Max .695 and love the Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz-5's. I killed 5 this year with that setup. I don't take extremely long shots but I know it will do it. I would try the Hevi 13 loads...not that expensive and a huge jump up in performance.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 20th, 2009, 1:14 am

i agree with nmblackgold i shoot a mossberg 500 in both 12 and 20 and use remington nitro turkey in 6 and 5 . as long as you keep it under 45 yards you should'nt have any problems  one thing i have found in my 12 it seems to pattern better using the factory full choke then with a tighter choke[;)] wayne

Return to Shooting