20 gauge Federal Flitecontrol Wad shells with #7 Shot

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

20 gauge Federal Flitecontrol Wad shells with #7 Shot

Postby allaboutshooting » April 30th, 2009, 2:38 pm

I've just begun testing the new 20 gauge 3" Federal Flitecontrol Wad shells with 1.50 oz. of #7 Heavyweight shot. The wet weather is really not allowing me to shoot very much but from what I've seen so far, this shell is a real winner!

As soon as I've had the opportunity to shoot them through several chokes, I'll publish my results and let you know what works best.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Magnumdood

RE: 20 gauge Federal Flitecontrol Wad shells with #7 Shot

Postby Magnumdood » April 30th, 2009, 4:09 pm

I've shot the 6's using a Rhino .575 choke out of an 11-87 and a 21" barrel.

It is a very promising round.  The pattern at 30 yards (I only fired 4 rounds) was consistent within those 4 rounds.  It was almost perfectly round, very few fliers, no gaps, and approximately 12" - 14" in diameter.  This is easily a 40 yard round out of this short barreled youth gun...probably 5 ~ 10 yards farther if needed.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

mossbergboy

Postby mossbergboy » May 1st, 2009, 2:13 am

i shoot a mossberg 500 20 gauge and an undertaker choke wich the combonation is not the greatest but i can kill a turkey at 40 if needed i shoot the winchester supreme elite in #5 and #6 will shoot the same.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » May 1st, 2009, 7:11 am

What's wrong with the combination?

If your gun shoots well enough to take a gobbler at 40 yards then you have a good combination. 
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » May 4th, 2009, 4:36 am

ORIGINAL: mossbergboy

i shoot a mossberg 500 20 gauge and an undertaker choke wich the combonation is not the greatest but i can kill a turkey at 40 if needed i shoot the winchester supreme elite in #5 and #6 will shoot the same.
Can you show a picture of the box Supreme Elite 20 G 6s LOL

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 6th, 2009, 2:47 am

Attached are a picture of a target I shot with the new #7 shot loads from Federal and a picture of the wad.

Details
292 in 18"x18" (86%)
155 in 10" circle (46%)
I shot only 2 targets. Both had similar patterns and counts but I pulled the second shot off to the left.

It was 69 degrees with 57% humidity and 4mph SE wind
I used a 26" barreled Remington 870 Express with the SSX .550 e.d. turkey choke
Shots were from a rest at 40 yards.

I was pleased with the evenness of the pattern. You can see from the picture of the wad that the petals were "clipped" a bit, expected, but opened evenly as did the petals. It flew straight and landed 35 yards from the muzzle, 5 yards from the patterning board.

I was surprised that this choke shot that shell so well. It just goes to show that you never know how a combination will shoot unless you try it.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

wingbone

Postby wingbone » May 6th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Dear allaboutshooting:

How is the size 7 for knock down power on a turkey? Obviously you're getting a good pattern, but how much energy will the 7's have? Very curious as I never would have used that size in a 12 or 10 gauge let alone a 20 gauge.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » May 7th, 2009, 4:29 am

ORIGINAL: wingbone

Dear allaboutshooting:

How is the size 7 for knock down power on a turkey? Obviously you're getting a good pattern, but how much energy will the 7's have? Very curious as I never would have used that size in a 12 or 10 gauge let alone a 20 gauge.

Energy is Energy regardless of gauge it is shot out of. As long as it has the same mass, and is traveling the same speed.

As for them sevens, other than handloaded TSS, they are the heaviest pellet availiable weighing in at 15 g/cc. They have as more energy I believe than lead 4s plus the simple fact that this mass is put in a smaller package with less surface area hitting the target and thus more penetration.

Im not no rocket scientist like some of these guys that can do all these equations LOL But this is how I understand it from listening to some of these guys on other forums.

In a nutshell they will kill turkeys farther than your pattern will hold together.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » May 7th, 2009, 4:33 am

Very Nice pattern Clark, I have that choke and will und-doubtedly put that load through it. If I get results that are equal or better through that choke or my Pure Gold 555 I will not buy Nitros next season.

Just hope un like previous flite control wad loads that those kind of results can be repeated for many folks. Maybe Environmetal will step up and fix there loads if they are not king of the heap.

deacon

Postby deacon » August 19th, 2009, 11:56 pm

ORIGINAL: icdedturkes

Very Nice pattern Clark, I have that choke and will und-doubtedly put that load through it. If I get results that are equal or better through that choke or my Pure Gold 555 I will not buy Nitros next season.

Just hope un like previous flite control wad loads that those kind of results can be repeated for many folks. Maybe Environmetal will step up and fix there loads if they are not king of the heap.

I have shot 2 boxes of these shells from different lot #'s and getting 140+ from both. They are for real. I could care less if E-Metal gets it together because Federal HAS it together with this load. These HW's pack more of a punch than any of the Hevi-13 6's or 7's ever will. Shoot them, you will like them.

Next

Return to Shooting