Turkey Test Tube

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Turkey Test Tube

Postby allaboutshooting » September 3rd, 2009, 1:03 pm

I had an opportunity to test the Turkey Test Tube (TTT) today. You can read the results of the test at
http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=327

The front of the TTT after the shot

The back of the TTT after the shot

I hope you find the read and the pictures interesting.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Turkeybuster

RE: Turkey Test Tube

Postby Turkeybuster » September 3rd, 2009, 1:51 pm

Interesting Clark! You doing OK?
Jon[:-]
Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 3rd, 2009, 3:25 pm

Hey Jon,

This is the first day this week that I've felt "normal" after the sting. As the day progressed I had more energy than I've had lately. Doris and I both have been pretty stressed. We decided to go to our range and shoot a few shells. It felt good. I'm tired tonight but I figure that's from doing a lot more than I've done this week. I have 2 more days of medication and will be glad to be through with that.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the kind words and concern expressed by so many fine folks like you. I will never forget it.

Thanks again,
Clark

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » September 3rd, 2009, 5:17 pm

Glad to hear the good news don't rush it I know Doris will keep you straight. Good to see you back at it again.
Jon [;)]
Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 6th, 2009, 10:30 am

I had an opportunity to try the TTT at 50 yards today, with the same "combination of ingredients" as before, the BPS-SSX-WXRHD and basically the same weather conditions:

Temperature: 78
Wind: SE @ 6 mph
Humidity: 68%
Pressure: 30.10

I had 43 hits (16 fewer than at 40 yards)
39 "through and through
4 pellets that did not exit the "wound channel" entirely

So, at 50 yards a slightly higher percentage of pellets, 91%, penetrated the TTT entirely than at 40 yards, 83%. I don't think the percentage differences are significant but it does show that the WXRHD pellets lose very little energy from 40 to 50 yards.

I continue to advocate shots of 40 yards or less however due to the very small target that a turkey head/neck presents at distances greater than that and the difficulty of holding a gun steady on such a small target at that distance.

I hope you find this of interest.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 6th, 2009, 10:41 am

Steve_In

RE: ,

Postby Steve_In » September 6th, 2009, 3:11 pm

Clark I think the difference in penetration would be due to lower velocity pellets falling out of the pattern and not hitting the TTT.  If the price was about half of what it is I might be interested.  I wonder if it is wife friendly when melted or if that is an outside job.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

FireFly908

Postby FireFly908 » September 7th, 2009, 6:39 am

ORIGINAL: Steve_In

Clark I think the difference in penetration would be due to lower velocity pellets falling out of the pattern and not hitting the TTT.  If the price was about half of what it is I might be interested.  I wonder if it is wife friendly when melted or if that is an outside job.

Steve_In
I agree. My initial thought, too, was $4.00 for the gel and I would buy into it.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » September 7th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Clark
That is very useful information those Winchester's are a excellent load, I have used them ever since their introduction cautiously and skeptically at first but they have me convinced. I like the way they conform to the choke and the dense core pattern they hold. I started using no.5 shot then went to no.6's and settled on them. I have witnessed gobblers killed at 60yds. with 6's and pellets passing through the head and neck area. I don't condone long range shooting but that is impressive as far as downrange energy retention. Thanks for shareing the information from your tests with us. You doing OK health wise?
Jon [;)]
Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 7th, 2009, 6:36 pm

Hey Steve,

I also agree with your analysis. There was certainly enough core pattern and penetration to do the job.

The material in the TTT smells like vanilla. I don't think it would be offensive when melted down and as long as it was poured out pretty quickly, clean up would not be too bad.

After I'd shot the first one, I followed the directions, allowed the material to warm up outside and pushed in the holes with a dowel and then I set it outside when it was very warm (not in direct sunlight) and allowed it to "heal" the wound channels thoroughly. Then I took it back inside and left it in about 72 degree temperature overnight and it looked as good as new.

I think you could do that at least a couple of times before performing a full "meltdown". It seems that you could get a lot of use out of it, as long as the cardboard framework around it did not get too shot up over time.

I was a little put off by the price but if it is as durable it seems to be, it's not as bad as I at first thought.

Thanks,
Clark

Next

Return to Shooting