To the range!

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

To the range!

Postby allaboutshooting » September 12th, 2009, 5:13 am

I'm headed to the range today to shoot my SSI-One and sight in a new scope for it. I've owned this gun for many years and like it a lot. It's a very compact single shot shotgun with the overbored barrel, just like the 835/935 guns. Mossberg made it for a few years but discontinued it a couple of years ago. They made several barrels for it but all that I have is the 12 gague 3.5" barrel.

I'll shoot it a few times to sight it in and then shoot some patterns. It's a kicker so I'll wear the EvoShield and use the SF recoil pad as well. I plan to shoot 3" WXRHD shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot.

Doris will also go to the range today to get ready for the World Championship Still Target Shoot that comes up next month.

I'll check in later today.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

RE: To the range!

Postby allaboutshooting » September 12th, 2009, 5:59 pm

I spent a lot of time at the range today. I sighted in the SSI-One first with some old 3" Federal shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot and then finished up with the WXRHD shells.

I've always liked this gun because it's well balanced and very maneuverable but I've never found the exact combination to get the patterns I'd like to see.

The barrel on this gun is only 24" long and is ported. I'd rather that it was at least 26" long and non-ported but that was not an option.

Today I shot the SSX with at .670 exit diameter. I "deep cleaned" the bore of both the choke and the barrel with Gunzilla and a 12 gauge (I did not have a 10 gauge brush) then finished with good cotton patches. It was very slick and shiny when I finished.

The bottom line is that the best patterns that I was able to get were in the 150's in 10" at 40 yards. That is certainly not bad at all and they were quite evenly spaced. These may be the best I've had from that gun. I'd have to go back and check some records to be sure.

I also wanted to see how one of the last Meade Instruments Simmons scopes would work on this gun. When that company owned Simmons they made some fine scopes with many features normally found only on much more expensive brands. I found one of these at a bargain price probably a year or more ago and just did not have a place to put it.

I put about 40 rounds down range today in sighting in and then patterning. From what I can tell, it held its zero just fine and clarity was good. Obviously one day does not really tell you too much about a scope, so I'll leave it on this gun for a while and shoot it as often as I can to see how it holds up.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting